Will plugging 3 pin fans with different specs into a hub work?

DarkAlpha_Sete

I'm using a CoolerMaster MasterBox Q300L and it came with a rear 3 pin fan. No idea what its specs are.

Since right now the airflow is terrible for sure, I'm planning on buying two NF-P14S redux-1200 (also 3 pin fans) from Noctua. They for sure will have different specs from the included fan. My motherboard only has 2 fan headers, including the CPU's, so I'll need a fan hub too, and was looking at the DeepCool FH-10. My question is, how would this be plugged in? Like, since the motherboard will only read one fan and the others will do whatever that specific one does, will different specs fuck anything up? Or can I just plug them however I want and it'll just work?

Sorry for the dumb question and meh English.

I think it will work

also I like you profile pic

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I'd suggest to buy 2 "Arctic P14 PWM PST" fans in your situation.

The "PST" stands for "PWM sharing technology".

You can plug 2 or more into 1 header.

They are also much cheaper and perform very close.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

you can also get a 3 pin to molex adapter.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

With molex u cant adjust the fan speed and they will always be running at full speed.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I'd suggest to buy 2 "Arctic P14 PWM PST" fans in your situation.

The "PST" stands for "PWM sharing technology".

You can plug 2 or more into 1 header.

They are also much cheaper and perform very close.

I'm a bit confused. Are the fans daisy-chained, or would it require a splitter?

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Sorry, bit of a noob, what exactly does that mean and how that work?

Just now, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

The fans are daisy chained and have a splitter build into the cable. Like this:P14_PWM_PST_black_F05.jpg

With a Molex connector you can plug the fans directly into the power suplly bypassing the mobo.

But this way you have no control over the speed and they will always run full speed.

1 minute ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

basically the molex adapter splits power from a molex to the fans

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

With molex u cant adjust the fan speed and they will always be running at full speed.

You can if you get a 3pin adaptor with fan power control options, and manually set the speed.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

it's an option, personally i don't like getting the power from the motherboard. plus it's cheap.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

MOLEX Power Cable 4P-M (5.25) > 4P-H (3.5) + 4P-H (3.5) - Cablematic

The DeepCool FH-10 is designed for PWM controlled (4 pin) fans. It is unable to control 3 pin fans and they will turn with full speed all the time. The 3 pin models are controlled by voltage, not a PWM signal. So adding two (or more) different fans to a single fan header (via a y-split cable), will work, but each fan will react differently to voltage changes, which is not ideal.

5 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

The DeepCool FH-10 is designed for PWM controlled (4 pin) fans. It is unable to control 3 pin fans and they will turn with full speed all the time. The 3 pin models are controlled by voltage, not a PWM signal. So adding two (or more) different fans to a single fan header (via a y-split cable), will work, but each fan will react differently to voltage changes, which is not ideal.

That wasn't exactly clear in the description I say, so thanks a lot.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The fans are daisy chained and have a splitter build into the cable. Like this:P14_PWM_PST_black_F05.jpg

With a Molex connector you can plug the fans directly into the power suplly bypassing the mobo.

But this way you have no control over the speed and they will always run full speed.

That seems like a great solution actually. Will have to find some store that sells those where I am.

Do you know how many can be daisy chained?

Edited by DarkAlpha_Sete
Added a question

That wasn't exactly clear in the description I say, so thanks a lot.

That seems like a great solution actually. Will have to find some store that sells those where I am.

Where are you from? In germany you can buy them for about 7 € each online.

They are actually one of the cheapest and still awesome performing fans in most cases.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Where are you from? In germany you can buy them for about 7 € each online.

They are actually one of the cheapest and still awesome performing fans in most cases.

Portugal, found a store selling them for 7.90€ but it's out of stock, will have to wait haha. Do you happen to know what is the maximum number of fans connected like this, and if I can connect a different size? Asking because the rear fan I have is 120mm and 3 pin, so this will get confusing to manage.

4 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

Portugal, found a store selling them for 7.90€ but it's out of stock, will have to wait haha. Do you happen to know what is the maximum number of fans connected like this, and if I can connect a different size? Asking because the rear fan I have is 120mm and 3 pin, so this will get confusing to manage.

You can just buy 2 140mm ones and put them on 1 header and leave the 120mm exhaust on the other header. In your BIOS you should be able to adjust each header idividually.

Edit: Arctic is saying, you can connect up to 4 fans to one header using their PST fans without having issues.

Edited by Stahlmann98

6 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Every y-split adapter will do the same thing. There is nothing special about these fans other than a cleaner look.

Difference is, on a budget you dont need to buy a Y-splitter and can even save a few bucks.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

You can just buy 2 140mm ones and put them on 1 header and leave the 120mm exhaust on the other header. In your BIOS you should be able to adjust each header idividually.

Ideally I would be able to do that... But it appears I didn't word myself before properly, sorry.

This motherboard only has 2 total fan headers: one for the CPU and one for other fans. So I would probably need a hub since there is no cable that will go from the rear to the front...

1 minute ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

Ideally I would be able to do that... But it appears I didn't word myself before properly, sorry.

This motherboard only has 2 total fan headers: one for the CPU and one for other fans. So I would probably need a hub since there is no cable that will go from the rear to the front...

You can connect up to 4 fans to 1 header using PST.

If you use different fan sizes, each will run at their specific RPM matching to the PWM signal.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

You can connect up to 4 fans to 1 header using PST.

If you use different fan sizes, each will run at their specific RPM matching to the PWM signal.

That's great actually, it should work. Thank you so much.

That's great actually, it should work. Thank you so much.

You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

The maximum amount for daisy chained fans is determind by the maximum current the fan header can handle. You have to do some research about your mainboard. The current draw of each individual fan is simply added up. If your header can handle up to 1 A and you've got a bunch of fans with 0.2 A each, it will handle up to 5 of these fans just fine.

Most modern fan headers can be switched to either control PWM fans (4 pin) or DC mode to control 3 pin fans, but not both at the same time. All the PWM fans I encountered over the years worked on DC controlled headers just fine, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would recommend to replace the included fan and to get 3 PWM controlled fans of the same model range either with integrated daisy chain options or a split cable.

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Difference is, on a budget you dont need to buy a Y-splitter and can even save a few bucks.

Y-split cables are exceptionally inexpensive. I wouldn’t bother to get my hands on a specific fan model just for the integrated split adapter.