26 million LiveJournal passwords have been breached

TempestCatto

On underground criminal marketplaces the email addresses and plaintext passwords of over 26 million LiveJournal blogging accounts are being traded, despite LiveJournal’s owners refusing to acknowledge that any security breach has occurred.

Sounds like we should no longer trust this company.

The first rumours of a major security incident involving LiveJournal passwords first began bubbling up in October 2018, when data breach expert Troy Hunt tweeted that he had received multiple reports of a compromise after users complained they had received sextortion emails quoting passwords they said they only used on the platform.

Sextortion? You mean there's hot single moms in my area ready to have fun?

At the same time Dreamwidth, a blogging platform forked from LiveJournal’s code, warned that it had also received reports of spam extortion emails demanding a Bitcoin ransom.

Kinda like how older people get phonecall scams where the scammer demands x amount in gift cards.

There didn't appear to be a real cause as to how these passwords got out, other than a tiny mention of plain text. Either way, one click in a janky email and the fire nation attacks. Come to think of it, I don't know what LiveJournal is, nor do I know anyone who uses it.

Honey BBQ: https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender.com/blog/26-million-livejournal-users-warned-that-their-passwords-have-been-breached-23375.html?cid=soc|c|fb|H4S&fbclid=IwAR03K4gWeM5mywsY39-U49w6Jkl9zZg9fKwhVCouRp5Ir-wdUPKxY1Gsihs

This tech news post is brought to by Honey! Honey is the free, yes free, browser extension that saves you money. It's saved thousands for people in the LTT community who shop on sites like Amazon, Newegg, and more. Go to JoinHoney.com/LINUS and start saving with your next purchase!

Haha haha who still use livejournal these days.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

omg i haven't heard that name in forever...

there was 26 million users wow...

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo