I need Help real bad.

PhenixFel
Go to solution Solved by PhenixFel,

It had been solved! I basically had to update bios lol like waaaaaaat I got a 2070 for free and using it at 4x lol heck yeah

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Nail polish also works ... or you can just use a sharp blade to cut the gold fingers.. Also it's obvious but don't forget to actually insert the pci-e power connectors. Kapton tape is also great.

I encourage you to continue with experiments, and I also suggest plugging the video card in the bottom x16 slot as that one is connected directly to the chipset instead of the cpu and electrically it's pci-e x4

As for the beeps, the codes vary with the bios model, award bioses are different than ami bioses and so on. Google for the codes, you'll find plenty of lists

// electrical tape can be too thick and you could damage your pci-e slot because the pins inside the slot have to put some pressure on the gold contacts of the video card and electrical tape is just too thick so the pins inside the slot may lose some of that elasticity if you go overboard with tape.

Oh okay. If you can see the attached photo I will circle the one I think you're talking about and let me know if thats correct 

Screenshot_20200528-145001_Photo Editor.jpg

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

This would've worked just fine if they were more careful with their trimming in the first place. I've done this before to an old card and reduced it to PCIe x1 because it was fun. Just need to make sure there's no shorting between the PCB layers along the cut, can be made sure of by sanding the cut area and coating it in something unconductive.

I'd also suggest actually making sure they cut the right amount off, perhaps there's too many pins and the system is getting a little confused.

- Also thread moved to Troubleshooting.

That makes sense

Yeah that's the slot i mean

Also note : *1 The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 and PCIe x1_3

which x1 slots are those will be written in the manual

So if you have some cards in one of the x1 slots, the bottom x16 slot may become only x1 instead of x4

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah that's the slot i mean

Also note : *1 The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 and PCIe x1_3

which x1 slots are those will be written in the manual

So if you have some cards in one of the x1 slots, the bottom x16 slot may become only x1 instead of x4

oh okay I understand. I will do that and see what happens.

6 hours ago, PhenixFel said:

I just got gifted a Gigabyte rtx 2070 free from a friend and but there's a problem. He was experimenting with it. He chopped off like half of the pci gold metal contacts lol. I installed it into my computer and it doesn't post. I gives me 4 beeps and shuts down.. I don't know what was going thru his head. I would like to see if anyone can tall me if I'm wasting my time. If I can use it please tell me. See attached photo.

20200528_094244.jpg

it really does physically hurt to look at this...

Desktop: Intel Core i7-9700K | Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | Balistix Sport 32GB | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 4TB HDD

Corsair RM750xASUS ROG Stryx GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC | Be quiet! silent base 801

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T-430

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

2 hours ago, CYBR_GHST said:

it really does physically hurt to look at this...

Thanks for being sympathetic 

Hey guys I'm back. So I did everything that everyone suggested and now I'm getting a code error 62. What is this?

20200529_122539.jpg

Screenshot_20200529-123820_Drive.jpg

Also I did change mobos to the z170 classified k just in case it was that and I got that code 62

Oh also the mobo worked perfectly before installing the rtx 2070

It had been solved! I basically had to update bios lol like waaaaaaat I got a 2070 for free and using it at 4x lol heck yeah

Okay now I got another problem. The systems bios recognizes the rtx 2070, but the nvidia drivers install software cannot find it and says that it cannot find any nvidia hardware. Any suggestions for what I should do?