Burned CPU because of ram?

Hello, 

I was overclocking my ram. I reboot the pc and it wasn't posting. So I turned of and on and I had black screen. No post. Is it possible that I destroy my cpu? Motherboard is showing on the led that my cpu is missing. I'm using ryzen 5 3600. Or I should try reinstall bios? I already tried removing the battery but it's not working. 

I mean, that's hard to do. How much did you bump the voltages? 

If you aren't posting it's more than likely an issue with the RAM seeing how you were overclocking that. CMOS clear should undo any changes that are locking you out of POSTing though.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I had the exact same problem but removing the CMOS battery worked for me. Have you waited for at least 5 minutes before putting back the battery? 

4 minutes ago, tomcer2003 said:

Hello, 

I was overclocking my ram. I reboot the pc and it wasn't posting. So I turned of and on and I had black screen. No post. Is it possible that I destroy my cpu? Motherboard is showing on the led that my cpu is missing. I'm using ryzen 5 3600. Or I should try reinstall bios? I already tried removing the battery but it's not working. 

How did you overclock it? From BIOS? Which settings did you tried?

It's pretty unlikely to damage your CPU from a failed overclocking without extreme oc. You should reset the BIOS and let the PC boot-fail until it prompts you to the BIOS setting. After several failed boot attempt you should get a warning and the BIOS should reset itself.

If you want to check for a damaged CPU you need to take it out of the socket and look at it (and under the mobo) for burn signs

2 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

How did you overclock it? From BIOS? Which settings did you tried?

It's pretty unlikely to damage your CPU from a failed overclocking without extreme oc. You should reset the BIOS and let the PC boot-fail until it prompts you to the BIOS setting. After several failed boot attempt you should get a warning and the BIOS should reset itself.

If you want to check for a damaged CPU you need to take it out of the socket and look at it (and under the mobo) for burn signs

Yes, I was overclocking it from the bios. It happened when I was changing timings. I was running 1.37 V. I'm using patriot viper 3600 CL17. It should be Hynix cjd or something like that. I just get post but only with one ram stick. 

1 minute ago, tomcer2003 said:

Yes, I was overclocking it from the bios. It happened when I was changing timings. I was running 1.37 V. I'm using patriot viper 3600 CL17. It should be Hynix cjd or something like that. I just get post but only with one ram stick. 

Reset the BIOS and CMOS completely, then try stick one by one and see if they are both recognized. If any isn't, move it to a different slot.

If stick 1 doesn't get recognized on any slot but stick 2 does, stick 1 is probably damaged so you should install both and run a memtest

28 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Reset the BIOS and CMOS completely, then try stick one by one and see if they are both recognized. If any isn't, move it to a different slot.

If stick 1 doesn't get recognized on any slot but stick 2 does, stick 1 is probably damaged so you should install both and run a memtest

I bench ram and it didn't crash. Now both sticks are there. I'm wondering why when changing timings cause this type of issue. Now I have very loose timings. I want at least 16t. I used DRAM Calculator for it. Any advice for this type of topic or I should start new topic? And thank you very mutch for your help. Otherwise I would ask my friend to test my cpu on his mtb. 

20200527_150902.jpg

These are overclocking guidelines not hard fast rules on how to get your RAM to that speed.

The only way, from my personal RAM OCing experience on Ryzen is to keep trying.  Use the guidelines but note you can bump voltage up quite a bit etc.  

That and the RAM You bought would have been binned faster if it could have been, its worth more that way.  So it may have no overclocking potential at all, beyond the stock XMP profile which is an Overclock.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

15 hours ago, tomcer2003 said:

I bench ram and it didn't crash. Now both sticks are there. I'm wondering why when changing timings cause this type of issue. Now I have very loose timings. I want at least 16t. I used DRAM Calculator for it. Any advice for this type of topic or I should start new topic? And thank you very mutch for your help. Otherwise I would ask my friend to test my cpu on his mtb. 

Ryzen is picky about memory. Tuning memory on AM4 can be problematic. It's ok to use DRAM calculator but you still need to consider that your cpu might not be able to support that speed at all. At 3600Mhz especially, that's a very high clock for Ryzen really. You might want to try to reach it in steps. One thing for example that I notice is that your ram voltage is pretty low, if you want to try and give it a more freedom try with 1.5V on RAM and 1.2V on SOC but more likely you'll also need to relax the timings a bit or step down to 3200Mhz.

4 hours ago, 3rrant said:

Ryzen is picky about memory. Tuning memory on AM4 can be problematic. It's ok to use DRAM calculator but you still need to consider that your cpu might not be able to support that speed at all. At 3600Mhz especially, that's a very high clock for Ryzen really. You might want to try to reach it in steps. One thing for example that I notice is that your ram voltage is pretty low, if you want to try and give it a more freedom try with 1.5V on RAM and 1.2V on SOC but more likely you'll also need to relax the timings a bit or step down to 3200Mhz.

I get 3600Mhz on tCL16 TRCDWR17.... I get it stable with 1.365V, soc voltage 1.1V. Is there some critical voltage? System is still running cold. And I can't find uClock. I'm using msi x570 gaming edge... I know terrible vrm but I accidentally destroyed my b450 and this mtb had my friend. Is there any bios limitation or I'm blind? 

40 minutes ago, tomcer2003 said:

I get 3600Mhz on tCL16 TRCDWR17.... I get it stable with 1.365V, soc voltage 1.1V. Is there some critical voltage? System is still running cold. And I can't find uClock. I'm using msi x570 gaming edge... I know terrible vrm but I accidentally destroyed my b450 and this mtb had my friend. Is there any bios limitation or I'm blind? 

Due to space constrains on the BIOS size, some settings might get erased from the motherboard BIOS so if you can't find it anywhere it might not be supported. You should check with MSI on that one