CPU instantly thermal throttling under load

Cookie0810

Hello internet people,

I've had my laptop for about 10 months now and seems to thermal throttling pretty much instantly when the CPU comes under load. 

The laptop in question is the HP Omen 15-dc1005na with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2ghz base, 6 core 12 thread.

GPU: RTX 2060

RAM: 16GB

Display: 1080p 144hz.

The fans ramp up as soon as I start the laptop up and even ramp up a fair way when watching videos on Youtube but the big problem is gaming. Yesterday I downloaded Star Citizen because it is a free week and fancied seeing how my laptop would handle it. It could not run it in 1080p and didn't get above 30fps at 720p with it averaging 25-28fps. 

It was apparent that the CPU was thermal throttling instantly and it even reached 100 degrees celcius at one point.

I just ran aida64 and the results are attached. As you can see it thermal throttles instantly.

I know that laptops temps aren't great and they thermal throttle often but is there something wrong here? 

If anyone has any suggestions on further tests to run or whether I need to contact HP, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. 

If anyone also knows if my laptop struggling with Star Citizen so much is normal or not, I would also appreciate you letting me know.

Many thanks,

Cookie

stabilitytest.png

XTU.jpg

Honestly, if it is in warranty I'd say just contact them and see what they say.

If it isn't a new thermal paste job will probably help to some degree. Also clearing out any dust while you are in there too would help.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Aida 64 outs a huge stress on the cpu. It’s very common for laptops to get to 100c and then throttle down, this is expected behavior. As long as its not going below the base clock it’s not really “thermal throttling.” If you want better clock speed you can try and undervolt and repaste.

13 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Honestly, if it is in warranty I'd say just contact them and see what they say.

If it isn't a new thermal paste job will probably help to some degree. Also clearing out any dust while you are in there too would help.

I've continuously kept an eye on any dust build up so I've stayed on top of that.

Luckily, I had the screen repaired a couple of weeks ago so they extended my warranty so I'll get in contact with them and see what they say.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Aida 64 outs a huge stress on the cpu. It’s very common for laptops to get to 100c and then throttle down, this is expected behavior. As long as its not going below the base clock it’s not really “thermal throttling.” If you want better clock speed you can try and undervolt and repaste.

Yeah I sort of realised that a stress test isn't the best example.

A better way to look at it is that it normally sits at around 60-70 degrees C whilst idle or watching videos and the fans are almost always spinning.

When I open a program, whether it be a game of just outlook, the temperature will ramp up to 90+ degrees for a couple of minutes straight before levelling out again.

I'll look into reapplying thermal paste and see how it performs.

1 minute ago, Cookie0810 said:

I'll look into reapplying thermal paste and see how it performs.

I don't know your location so can't comment on the laws there but opening it up and changing the thermal paste may void any remaining warranty you have on the device. Just as a fair warning. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I don't know your location so can't comment on the laws there but opening it up and changing the thermal paste may void any remaining warranty you have on the device. Just as a fair warning. 

I'm in the UK but already opened up the device and HP are aware.

1 minute ago, Cookie0810 said:

I'm in the UK but already opened up the device and HP are aware.

My concern isn't you opening it up but the actual steps of taking off the CPU cooler and reapplying it could be seen as 'altering the device' in such a way that would make it void from warranty. Especially if you are going to try to RMA it for a thermal problem after playing about with the cooler. 

Up to you at the end of the day, just wanted to make sure you considered it before getting at 'er.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240