Is my PSU enough?

hmetzger

I have a prebuilt my dad bought me for Christmas and it has a proprietary PSU so it would be hard to upgrade. It has an i5 6500 and 16GB DDR4 ram at 2133MHz. The PSU is only 280W. My question is if a gtx 1650 non super would work fine in this system. I would like to be sure so I don't have to return it

You really should get a better power supply. Chances are that one can only output about 220W on the +12V rail meaning you'll be pushing a shit tier fire hazard power supply beyond the limits it was ever designed to handle.

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You really should get a better power supply. Chances are that one can only output about 220W on the +12V rail meaning you'll be pushing a shit tier fire hazard power supply beyond the limits it was ever designed to handle.

I would say this but if it is a OEM build not a prebuilt I would stay away from it as it can have proprietary cables and you could fry the board 

Edited by TofuHaroto
Typo

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I would love to upgrade the PSU but the motherboard doesn't have the standard connectors for it. Is it possible to find a higher wattage PSU with these proprietary connectors? The prebuilt is an HP elite desk 800G2 if that helps

3 minutes ago, hmetzger said:

I have a prebuilt my dad bought me for Christmas and it has a proprietary PSU so it would be hard to upgrade. It has an i5 6500 and 16GB DDR4 ram at 2133MHz. The PSU is only 280W. My question is if a gtx 1650 non super would work fine in this system. I would like to be sure so I don't have to return it

I would recommend upgrading the power supply if there are no proprietary power connectors being needed in this system, what model of pre-built is this, maybe there are adapters available for proprietary connectors to be used with a regular power supply (not ideal, although will work)?

Get a 500w PSU for this system, 650-700w if you want further room for upgrades in the future.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, hmetzger said:

I would love to upgrade the PSU but the motherboard doesn't have the standard connectors for it. Is it possible to find a higher wattage PSU with these proprietary connectors? The prebuilt is an HP elite desk 800G2 if that helps

Which form-factor version of the HP Elitedesk 800G2 do you have (Tower, UltraSlim, Desktop Mini, etc)?

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I would recommend upgrading the power supply if there are no proprietary power connectors being needed in this system, what model of pre-built is this, maybe there are adapters available for proprietary connectors to be used with a regular power supply (not ideal, although will work)?

Get a 500w PSU for this system, 650-700w if you want further room for upgrades in the future.

The system is a HP elitedesk 800G2

3 minutes ago, hmetzger said:

Usually no but you could always look for it 

But you'll most likely see the PSU with the same wattage if you can maybe get a mobo and a PSU combo that would go a long way 

As @5x5 said these usually list a certain wattage but the 12v rail usually doesn't provide that much 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

Which form-factor version of the HP Elitedesk 800G2 do you have (Tower, UltraSlim, Desktop Mini, etc)?

Tower

1 minute ago, hmetzger said:

Tower

A quick search gave me this 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Upgrade-HP-Elitedesk-800-G2-Power-Supply/td-p/5623093 

If you want to go though it 

Apparently you can but it's worth having a look ;)

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, hmetzger said:

Tower

Okay, you will need an adapter to use an off-the-shelf PSU with this system (Since the HP proprietary P2 6-pin connector):       https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-EliteDesk-800-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Then grab a standard 80+ 500w ATX PSU:        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EM2W/ref=twister_B085RC4C5W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And now, you can use your GTX 1650 with this system!!!

@Boomwebsearch 

22 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Okay, you will need an adapter to use an off-the-shelf PSU with this system (Since the HP proprietary P2 6-pin connector):       https://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-EliteDesk-800-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Then grab a standard 80+ 500w ATX PSU:        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EM2W/ref=twister_B085RC4C5W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And now, you can use your GTX 1650 with this system!!!

Please don't buy the Thermaltake SMART models. They are abhorrent quality and fire hazards

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Please don't buy the Thermaltake SMART models. They are abhorrent quality and fire hazards

Please explain how a Thermaltake Smart Series PSU is a fire hazard under normal use?

They aren't of high quality, although will get the job done and should be a ton better than the proprietary PSUs that HP and most OEMs use.

@Boomwebsearch