MB and Ram compatibility and speed

Hey everyone, i am using Asrock z370 pro 4 MB and Hyperx Ram 2866 mhz ddr4 memory in  2x4gb configuration. Now i am looking to upgrade my memory specifily add 8 gigs more, should i buy 2 more identical sticks of 4 gb each or should i get 1 more stick of 8gb? Will ram work if i use 4x4gb , will i lose much performance? Thank you

Just now, Asukaa said:

Hey everyone, i am using Asrock z370 pro 4 MB and Hyperx Ram 2866 mhz ddr4 memory in  2x4gb configuration. Now i am looking to upgrade my memory specifily add 8 gigs more, should i buy 2 more identical sticks of 4 gb each or should i get 1 more stick of 8gb? Will ram work if i use 4x4gb , will i lose much performance? Thank you

On Intel if you use 2 or 4 sticks it really doesn't change much in terms of stability overclock etc, so you can safely go 4x4gb. It isn't a big issue if you mix and match different types of RAM, but they will run at the lowest common denominator (If you have 2x 3200Mhz and 2x2400Mhz, they will run at 2400 unless you can tune them to something higher).

Do what's more cost effective. If the different is minimum, go 4x4 or sell your sticks and go 2x8gb.

10 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

On Intel if you use 2 or 4 sticks it really doesn't change much in terms of stability overclock etc, so you can safely go 4x4gb. It isn't a big issue if you mix and match different types of RAM, but they will run at the lowest common denominator (If you have 2x 3200Mhz and 2x2400Mhz, they will run at 2400 unless you can tune them to something higher).

Do what's more cost effective. If the different is minimum, go 4x4 or sell your sticks and go 2x8gb.

I will get 2 more sticks of 4gb then, its much harder to sell these now and buy 2 x8 than to buy 2 more sticks of 4gb . Thank you very much for answer