Weird fan sound - Noob here!

G10ac Asus desktop.   

This just started yesterday. The fan in the photo is making the noise. This noise is not represented well in the video, camera just picks up on the main fan too well I guess. You can kind of hear it. It is like a very fast paced clicking sound, not as "bassy" as it sounds in the clip. If I push on the middle of the fan to stop it real quick, the sound dissapears completely.

Thank you!

20200524_103516.jpg

When a fan makes noise, time to not trust it.

I'd replace the fan........ or

Perhaps just upgrade the entire heat sink so that it'll run cooler and the fan will spin up much less often.

Well, you could do a heatsink reseat ( fyi the fan that you showed is called a heatsink and is the main source of cooling for your cpu) or try to see if the BIOS fan setting is configured for performance

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

When a fan makes noise, time to not trust it.

I'd replace the fan........ or

Perhaps just upgrade the entire heat sink so that it'll run cooler and the fan will spin up much less often.

3 minutes ago, V.K.Videsh said:

Well, you could do a heatsink reseat ( fyi the fan that you showed is called a heatsink and is the main source of cooling for your cpu) or try to see if the BIOS fan setting is configured for performance

Okay guys real novice here. Figured replacement would be in a response. From what I can see the entire fan/heatsink is one big piece together. Can I just replace the fan. Can't see anywhere where it would come off alone. Secondly I scoured Asus G10ac including the manual. It does not tell me what this one is. Size/model no/ etc.   Your replies are SO MUCH appreciated!!!!

If you're a real novice, then i suggest taking it to a local computer repair shop....

And the thing is you can replace just the fan....

Only if you have the correct heatsink model.

Well novice, but not afraid to get in there with your help. I would like to order the fan/sink combo but just no clue where to find out what to order. Scoured the internet for an hour last night with no luck. I did find a sticker on the side of the fan  1307 1-002201 DP 01342     which yielded no results. 

4 minutes ago, Shaneisme said:

Okay guys real novice here. Figured replacement would be in a response. From what I can see the entire fan/heatsink is one big piece together. Can I just replace the fan. Can't see anywhere where it would come off alone. Secondly I scoured Asus G10ac including the manual. It does not tell me what this one is. Size/model no/ etc.   Your replies are SO MUCH appreciated!!!!

To remove the fan from that heat sink, you'll probably remove the heatsink from the motherboard to do so. 

One issue with your heat sink is that it does not use the back plate. Which means you'd have to remove the motherboard from the case and install the back plate and heat sink clips and screws to support a larger heatsink. Which kind of sucks.

BUT

The heat sink you look to replace the current one with is called the Wraith Spire.

This way you won't have to remove the motherboard.

The triangular screws at the base of the heat sink, there's four of them. They turn counter clockwise like a screw. About a half turn and it will release from the mothebroard. Installation is just the opposite. Super easy. Difficulty level at a 2 of 10.

Just be sure to get some thermal paste.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

To remove the fan from that heat sink, you'll probably remove the heatsink from the motherboard to do so. 

One issue with your heat sink is that it does not use the back plate. Which means you'd have to remove the motherboard from the case and install the back plate and heat sink clips and screws to support a larger heatsink. Which kind of sucks.

BUT

The heat sink you look to replace the current one with is called the Wraith Spire.

This way you won't have to remove the motherboard.

The triangular screws at the base of the heat sink, there's four of them. They turn counter clockwise like a screw. About a half turn and it will release from the mothebroard. Installation is just the opposite. Super easy. Difficulty level at a 2 of 10.

Just be sure to get some thermal paste.

Is there a specific size that I would need to get? Thanks so much for your detailed answer!

Just now, Shaneisme said:

Is there a specific size that I would need to get? Thanks so much for your detailed answer!

Specific size of what sir? Tube of paste?? Small. A few grams worth will last you a long time. 

Well, I will certainly help you as much as i can. Instead of searching for the fan num, search for a heatsink for your particular cpu manufacturer. What pc do you have and can you send a snap of your specs( Press windows key+r, the run tab will open and search for dxdiag, it will ask for checking drivers digitally and click ok, then you will get you spec sheet)

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Specific size of what sir? Tube of paste?? Small. A few grams worth will last you a long time. 

no that the tube, lol! I mean the fan/heatsink combo.

1 minute ago, V.K.Videsh said:

Well, I will certainly help you as much as i can. Instead of searching for the fan num, search for a heatsink for your particular cpu manufacturer. What pc do you have and can you send a snap of your specs( Press windows key+r, the run tab will open and search for dxdiag, it will ask for checking drivers digitally and click ok, then you will get you spec sheet)

Hello. I had advised him to upgrade from the wraith stealth tho the larger but similar Wraith Spire heat sink and fan. 

Do you think this is a good suggestion??

Welcome to the forums!

1 minute ago, V.K.Videsh said:

Forum1.PNG

@ShrimpBrimeThanks for the Welcome, glad to be here(Mind my english). And his specs show that he has an intel chip. Wraith coolers for AMD. So, Let us try to help him further.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Mine does not seem to have screws like in the photo of that. Mine has four big black plastic thingies pictured here. 

20200524_111852.jpg

3 minutes ago, V.K.Videsh said:

@ShrimpBrimeThanks for the Welcome, glad to be here(Mind my english). And his specs show that he has an intel chip. Wraith coolers for AMD. So, Let us try to help him further.

Yes!! 

Very sharp eye indeed. 

(I know better and should have asked system specs straight away)

Need mure coffee.

Indeed. Help this gentleman!! And thank you!!

I found this video online :

You know, cause a precaution is always better the buying new stuff.

4 minutes ago, V.K.Videsh said:

I found this video online :

You know, cause a precaution is always better the buying new stuff.

Absolutely perfect. Can do that easily! lol   Now you tell me which one to order, and I'm gonna get it here overnight.

At what price do you want the heat sink to be?

meaningless to a point ..... lol. I see them in the 20 - 80 range online. But the sizes/models are so confusing. If possible would love to order what you tell me to. 😎

1 minute ago, Shaneisme said:

Says compatilble with i7 which I have.

Well, I am pretty sure that it will work. The cpu cooler mount changes only with the chipset, in your case you're fine.

Warning: do this at your own risk as damaginf the cpu or the cooler can compromise your pc