Intel stock cooler noisy at idle

SteamedLawnChair

For some reason as soon as I boot up into windows my intel stock cooler decides to fucking take off, I can usually fix this by stopping everything in task manager and not use anything but that’s no fun. I measured the temps on afterburner and it says I’m reaching 60c at idle. I recently cleaned it and changed the thermal paste after upgrading to a gtx 970 (looked hella dusty in there so I did some spring cleaning) and even now it’s still doing it, any way to fix this (I’m rocking an i7 870 so old hardware ig) or am I gonna have to break the bank, also if you do put cooler suggestions down be aware they’re gonna have to be small because there ain’t much room in there 😅 (enough for the intel fan to blow air out tho so don’t bring it up)

What CPU? Have you tried to set custom curve?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If it's doing it as soon as windows boots up, have you checked task manager to make sure something isn't holding the CPU at 100% load ? The stock intel coolers ain't that great, there good if your not using high loads all the time, my son's i7 on the stock cooler sounded like a jet engine at full take off power whenever he was gaming, swapped to a cheap aftermarket cooler and now it's quiet and doesn't get anywhere as hot as it used to. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037AKXKM/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_qYmZEbD0B6RT6

This is the one I bought and it's made a world of difference. Just check your CPU usage etc before spending money, you may have some malware or a process that's eating up all the CPU time. 

On 5/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, LogicalDrm said:

What CPU? Have you tried to set custom curve?

i7-870

What are load temps? Have you tried undervolting?

What case are you using and how's the airflow configured?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

i7-870

Missed that and had to re-read couple times to get what my point there was. So not voltage issue nessessarily, and mobo is Speedfan compatibible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv