The internet gets dry-docked - US Copyright office proposes to remove or reduce copyright safe harbors from Online Service Providers

rcmaehl
16 hours ago, Kisai said:

You would hope. But some people view Youtube as a dumping ground for any random video they found/stole from another site, or as a way to archive music/videos they themselves personally ripped, but didn't get permission, under the basis of "better to forgive than forget"

If someone wants to upload a video that outright violates copyright (like a music video) then it will still be targetable, they just won't be able to make any money for the video until the CR material is removed.  I think that is am much fairer approach than swapping revenue to the complainant without review.  IF the uploader can't remove the content because it is all CR like a music video then they had no rights to it int he first place so they are losing nothing of their own work by not being able to reupload it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is certainly going to backfire.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

If someone wants to upload a video that outright violates copyright (like a music video) then it will still be targetable, they just won't be able to make any money for the video until the CR material is removed.  I think that is am much fairer approach than swapping revenue to the complainant without review.  IF the uploader can't remove the content because it is all CR like a music video then they had no rights to it int he first place so they are losing nothing of their own work by not being able to reupload it.

Honestly, what would solve a lot of problems on Youtube alone would be to quarantine new video uploads to "private only" for 24 hours and give it enough time to get content id reviewed before switching it to public. If it gets something that would normally result in losing the revenue, it would require the uploader to do a "yes, that's fine, I understand I will not receive any revenue for this video", and youtube will never take the video down due to a ContentId flag before making it public. If it passes with no flags, it can go public immediately. If it would trip a flag that normally results in a strike, then the user gets a chance to withdraw/delete the video without receiving the strike, unless the account is flagged as a throw-away (eg the only activity on it is uploading that video.)