Motherboard backside cooling? i want to hear your educated opinios!

Air Cooling the back of your Motherboard?!

So i was wondering if any of you have had any first hand experience with air cooling the back of the PCB on your motherboards with a small to medium sized fan like an 80mm for example

or if you have read/seen any tests on the topic?

Does it have any positive effects on your CPU/VRMs and such in terms of overall temperatures?

And which direction should the airflow of the fan be pointed at?

Blowing air onto the surface or "sucking" the hot air away from the PCB?

Of course the design and airflow capability of your case especially in the region behind the MB does have a big impact on the results i suppose,

and it will be very different for everybody.

Does this concept make sense at all or is it a total waste of time?

So let me hear your thoughts on the topic!

cheers

Desktop: Intel Core i7-9700K | Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | Balistix Sport 32GB | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 4TB HDD

Corsair RM750xASUS ROG Stryx GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC | Be quiet! silent base 801

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T-430

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

I think if you want this its either buy a case that does it OR modify a case to add fans.

I think intakes would be better and closer to the other intakes to maintain the flow across the back of the board.

As for the actual benefit, we don’t know until someone tries it I guess!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

10 minutes ago, CYBR_GHST said:

Air Cooling the back of your Motherboard?!

So i was wondering if any of you have had any first hand experience with air cooling the back of the PCB on your motherboards with a small to medium sized fan like an 80mm for example

or if you have read/seen any tests on the topic?

Does it have any positive effects on your CPU/VRMs and such in terms of overall temperatures?

And which direction should the airflow of the fan be pointed at?

Blowing air onto the surface or "sucking" the hot air away from the PCB?

Of course the design and airflow capability of your case especially in the region behind the MB does have a big impact on the results i suppose,

and it will be very different for everybody.

Does this concept make sense at all or is it a total waste of time?

So let me hear your thoughts on the topic!

cheers

Google it, when i google it i find lots of info on the topic.

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 650 watt | Case: Cougar MX330G

Just now, KENBAL420 said:

Google it, when i google it i find lots of info on the topic.

that was the first thing i did, but if you had read the title of this post correctly, i asked for YOUR opinions ;)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-9700K | Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | Balistix Sport 32GB | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 4TB HDD

Corsair RM750xASUS ROG Stryx GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC | Be quiet! silent base 801

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

On 5/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, CYBR_GHST said:

that was the first thing i did, but if you had read the title of this post correctly, i asked for YOUR opinions ;)

There is enough info available to not need an opinion, the answers is already given to you and others have commented on those posts and gave their opinions.

I can read and i gave you my opinion, didn't I?

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

The motherboard is pretty good at conducting heat so cooling the back would help somewhat. It's more effective to focus on cooling the front of the motherboard first since there are heatsinks and components for more surface area. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, KENBAL420 said:

There is enough info available to not need an opinion, the answers is already given to you and others have commented on those posts and gave their opinions.

I can read and i gave you my opinion, didn't I?

You Sir should think about your attitude. being the guy on a specialized tech forum telling other people to "google it" when they ask for your opinion. great job!

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The motherboard is pretty good at conducting heat so cooling the back would help somewhat. It's more effective to focus on cooling the front of the motherboard first since there are heatsinks and components for more surface area. 

thank you for your input! appreciate it!

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

On 5/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, CYBR_GHST said:

You Sir should think about your attitude. being the guy on a specialized tech forum telling other people to "google it" when they ask for your opinion. great job!

Yeah i apologise, didn't mean to seem rude. Only realised how rude it sounds when i read my previous comment, my apologies :)

It makes sense.

Direction: blow air towards the motherboard.

It will help for VRM / CPU area if you have a cutout. But you'll only find old cases with an additional cutout in the side panel. "Dual chamber" cases may be a different story.

Cooling the top side will show up as lower temperatures on the bottom side too.

Localized airflow (i.e., from a fan close to it) towards the area (top or bottom) can help VRM temps substantially, even if the fan is small and doesn't look like much. It's just a matter of stirring the air a bit on the surface so warm air doesn't "get stuck" there, cut from joining the more general flow in your case. Maybe more noticeable for liquid cooling, but couldn't verify by myself (got similar results both ways when using a tower CPU cooler. If you have a top-blow air cooler then the extra fan may be redundant).

2 hours ago, KENBAL420 said:

Yeah i apologise, didn't mean to seem rude. Only realised how rude it sounds when i read my previous comment, my apologies :)

Thank you, i appreciate your honesty :)

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H