(Help) Will my current PSU hold up for a 10th gen upgrade?

Soujiro89

I currently have this setup:

馃攲[PSU]: EVGA 850w Supernova G2 Gold

鈿欙笍[Processor]: i7 8700k 3.7ghz 6 cores
鉀揫Motherboard]: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 z370
馃帪[Memory]: G-Skill Trident Z 16gb 3200mhz DDR4
馃帴[Video]: Asus RTX 2080 dual 8gb
馃摲[Capture Card]: Elgato HD60 Pro
馃摓[Wi-fi]: Linksys PCI-E
馃К[SSD]: WD Blue 500gb IDE
馃摝[HDD]: WD Blue 4tb IDE
馃棏[Case]: Corsair 570x
馃В[Cooling]: Corsair LL120 RGB
鉂勶笍[Processor Cooler]: Deepcool Assasin II
馃帥[DAC]: Focusrite 2i2

Considering the amount of power the new i9 10th series will be consuming, with a new mobo, should I also look for a bigger PSU? And I know that this is a PSU forum, but do you think I should upgrade memory or I could stick with what I have?

It'll be more than enough even for a 10900K. That being said, do you really need the upgrade now from an 8700K? You might as well wait for Zen 3 to see what that brings, it might be worth the wait, especially considering the fact that the 8700K is still one of the best gaming chips out there.

Also no, your current memory would work just fine.

Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K |聽ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB @聽3200MHz CL14聽| EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop:聽2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"聽聽--聽 i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals:聽Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g聽| Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It'll be more than enough even for a 10900K. That being said, do you really need the upgrade now from an 8700K? You might as well wait for Zen 3 to see what that brings, it might be worth the wait, especially considering the fact that the 8700K is still one of the best gaming chips out there.

Also no, your current memory would work just fine.

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking ahead, due to prices going up in the whole world, and my country's economy is going to hell, I wanted to plan and see if I would need to upgrade other parts before processor and mobo.

Yes, the 8700k is a beast, and the only reason I am thinking of upgrading is because it's still good, so secondary market here has a good price on it. I bought it right at launch, and in a year it will probably go down in value more than I'd like to sell it for. Right now if I sell the 8700k, I only have to add a 5-10% of the price of an i9 10900k out of my own pocket to upgrade. But if I wait too much that could be up to 30-50%.

26 minutes ago, Soujiro89 said:

I currently have this setup:

馃攲[PSU]: EVGA 850w Supernova G2 Gold

鈿欙笍[Processor]: i7 8700k 3.7ghz 6 cores
鉀揫Motherboard]: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 z370
馃帪[Memory]: G-Skill Trident Z 16gb 3200mhz DDR4
馃帴[Video]: Asus RTX 2080 dual 8gb
馃摲[Capture Card]: Elgato HD60 Pro
馃摓[Wi-fi]: Linksys PCI-E
馃К[SSD]: WD Blue 500gb IDE
馃摝[HDD]: WD Blue 4tb IDE
馃棏[Case]: Corsair 570x
馃В[Cooling]: Corsair LL120 RGB
鉂勶笍[Processor Cooler]: Deepcool Assasin II
馃帥[DAC]: Focusrite 2i2

Considering the amount of power the new i9 10th series will be consuming, with a new mobo, should I also look for a bigger PSU? And I know that this is a PSU forum, but do you think I should upgrade memory or I could stick with what I have?

13 minutes ago, Soujiro89 said:

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking ahead, due to prices going up in the whole world, and my country's economy is going to hell, I wanted to plan and see if I would need to upgrade other parts before processor and mobo.

Yes, the 8700k is a beast, and the only reason I am thinking of upgrading is because it's still good, so secondary market here has a good price on it. I bought it right at launch, and in a year it will probably go down in value more than I'd like to sell it for. Right now if I sell the 8700k, I only have to add a 5-10% of the price of an i9 10900k out of my own pocket to upgrade. But if I wait too much that could be up to 30-50%.

The power supply should be sufficient, although I would recommend upgrading your RAM for higher memory bandwidth and/or more memory for modern applications, you may be able to get away with 16GB without any noticeable performance benefit, although it depends on what you use the computer for.

Hope聽this information post was helpful聽聽?,

聽 聽 聽 聽 @Boomwebsearch

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The power supply should be sufficient, although I would recommend upgrading your RAM for higher memory bandwidth and/or more memory for modern applications, you may be able to get away with 16GB without any noticeable performance benefit, although it depends on what you use the computer for.

Thanks, I was thinking about upgrading it. If the PSU wasn't enough I was planning on upgrading that first, but since it will hold, I'll go for the RAM upgrade instead. I use it mostly for gaming and every now and then streaming and video editing.