Short Stroking Hard Drive

STANLEY0626
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

So that hdd benchmark is doing it on the who drive, not the partition, so it makes sense it would make no difference.

NOrmally don't bother with short stroking, it really doesn't make a big difference.

I am trying to short stroke my hard drive but it does not seem to work!

Before short stroking, my second hard drive seem do dip off in performance at around 50%. Since I have a 1000 GB Hard Drive, I changed it so that it has around 650 GB Unallocated. Theoretically, this should give me the maximum performance because there should be no dip in performance right!?! I tested again and it game me similar results! The graphs look very similar to each other, both starting to dip at 50%, with it's maximum and minimum transfer rate being almost the same. Help!

Computer Management Normal.png

HD Tune 2.55 - Normal.png

Computer Management Optimized Setting.png

HD Tune 2.55 - Optimized Setting.png

So that hdd benchmark is doing it on the who drive, not the partition, so it makes sense it would make no difference.

NOrmally don't bother with short stroking, it really doesn't make a big difference.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Okay so since the benchmark is doing it on the whole drive, then the results wouldn't be different. That makes sense I guess.

But If I actually use the drive after short stroking, it would be faster, right?

24 minutes ago, STANLEY0626 said:

Okay so since the benchmark is doing it on the whole drive, then the results wouldn't be different. That makes sense I guess.

But If I actually use the drive after short stroking, it would be faster, right?

Depends on your goal.

You can make a much smaller drive which is a bit faster, or make 2 partitions, one slightly faster. 

Either way, its not worth it, leave it as one big partition.