Virus & Threat Protection missing from Windows Security

Agonizel
7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Read the bottom of the post I linked to where it tells you where to go in settings

Alright indeed, I was linked to my College email account. This is retarded, how is it even slightly acceptable for them to be able to modify my windows settings?

Anyway, I've removed them from my PC - good riddance. But my PC is still under MDM, what shall I do now? I'm trying to research but I'm not finding anything

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Likely need to reboot.

Organizations have a choice of handing people locked down work machines, or to let people use their own but enforce specific security policies if they want to do so to reduce the risk of infection/intrusion/malware etc, perfectly normal.

The org decided that if users want to connect to their services then a selection of safety measures are mandatory.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

The org decided that if users want to connect to their services then a selection of safety measures are mandatory.

Yes, but it is my computer that I owned before installing the college's Office 365 license

That's the point. At the moment you want to add some of the org's services then some restrictions are automatically applied. You likely got a warning about it at the time.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

That's the point. At the moment you want to add some of the org's services then some restrictions are automatically applied. You likely got a warning about it at the time.

Yep, probz did. Still fishy though. Being legal does not make it less unethical

29 minutes ago, Agonizel said:

Yep, probz did. Still fishy though. Being legal does not make it less unethical

It's a common measure for BYOD in workplaces and education institutes. For the most part, it should be for security by forcing a PC to install security updates and, in this case, disabling the option to disable anti-virus. There's a bunch of companies that got hit by WannaCry from unprotected employee devices connecting to their networks (though, that's also partially down to poor network security management). 

There will be (there should be) some prompt or agreement somewhere when you connect to a network or install something that gives them access to manage settings on your PC. Most won't read it though. 

BYOD devices are a massive security risk though, so I understand why they do it.

In the end I just resetted my PC - fixed the issue (keep files). College mates don't have the same issue, so I don't think my college is responsible after all... Weird.

• 3 months later...

Had the exact same problem bro. Go to the taskbar search box. Search Access work or school account and disconnect any other account from the one you primarily use. I had my online school account signed in, (the unknown organization) and it popped up the same group policies applied to your system too. After I had disconnected the account, there wasn't any managed by your organization messages and I could freely use the virus and threat protection which finally popped up again on windows defender. No more your it administrator has limited access blah blah blah. Hope I helped!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, D1mGh0ul said:

Had the exact same problem bro. Go to the taskbar search box. Search Access work or school account and disconnect any other account from the one you primarily use. I had my online school account signed in, (the unknown organization) and it popped up the same group policies applied to your system too. After I had disconnected the account, there wasn't any managed by your organization messages and I could freely use the virus and threat protection which finally popped up again on windows defender. No more your it administrator has limited access blah blah blah. Hope I helped!

Omg man, thank you so much !! I disconnected my student account and the virus and threat protection option appeared again ! I looked desperately for the solution for hours ! I didn't think the solution was that simple ! I registered on this forum just to thank you so thank u once again x)

On 5/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, Agonizel said:

So I figure I gotta go to gpedit.msc > Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft > Windows Defender Security and turn off windows defender. Then I gotta go to windows defender security and restart Virus & Threat Protection, but it does not work because it doesn't appear

why did everyone miss this?

it doesn't appear because you turned it off!

you need to revert whatever you did in GPE... I hope you have a backup or something...

Now I'm not entirely sure this is gonna fix it, but it really does sound like the deciding factor .

edit: lol I'm sorry I didn't see how old this thread is... nevermind then.

At least a few new people seem to have fixed the issue! 👍

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer