Is OP AutoClicker Safe?

I have downloaded OP AutoClicker, and i wanted to make sure it's safe. On virustotal, it says that one AV detected it as malware, but the community said it was a false positive. Please tell me. (P.S. If you're wondering why i wanted to check an autoclicker out, i wanted to mess with one in a minecraft world.)

As a general rule anything with “auto” in the name isn’t.  This includes autokey.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Well, i really wanted to test it out. I also checked the behaviour of the autoclicker on VirusTotal, and it seems safe. 

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As a general rule anything with “auto” in the name isn’t.  This includes autokey.

You mean Autohotkey? Or the linux clone of it, Autokey?

Both are safe.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Galaxy__ said:

Well, i really wanted to test it out. I also checked the behaviour of the autoclicker on VirusTotal, and it seems safe. 

I got no info.  You’re talking about whether it was malware or not, I was talking about “can you radically screw up your system”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Both are safe.

For definitions of safe.  Messing up autokey can do obnoxious things to your keyboard to the point that it’s useful as a practical joke system.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Both are safe.

I use OP AutoClicker. Not autokey or hotkey. Just wanted to ask if its safe.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

For definitions of safe.  Messing up autokey can do obnoxious things to your keyboard to the point that it’s useful as a practical joke system.

So it's not inherently bad, just that if you use it incorrectly, it'll mess up your OS. It doesn't touch your keyboard at all, iirc it basically emulates a HID keyboard.

1 minute ago, Galaxy__ said:

I use OP AutoClicker. Not autokey or hotkey. Just wanted to ask if they're safe.

I know, I was just clarifying his concerns about AHK. No idea if Autoclicker is good or not.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

My statement is general.  It’s got “auto”!in the name so I view it with suspicion.

I use OP Auto Clicker 3.0 all the time. Obviously its not safe if you set it to click something it is not supposed to, and would make sure that you have downloaded from the official source.

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 5:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

absolutely false. auto hotkey is a very useful and safe program that even taran van hemert (one of the editors at linustechtips) uses EXTENSIVELY. stop spreading false information like this.

On 5/19/2020 at 5:09 PM, Bombastinator said:

messing it up is your own fault. the software is only doing what you tell it to.

55 minutes ago, rikupone said:

absolutely false. auto hotkey is a very useful and safe program that even taran van hemert (one of the editors at linustechtips) uses EXTENSIVELY. stop spreading false information like this.

But it CAN cause a problem.  This is very different than is.  Automate anything and you make it easier to do things by accident.  Automobiles would be one example.  Automobiles aren’t a BAD idea but they can hurt things.

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

But it CAN cause a problem.  This is very different than is.  Automate anything and you make it easier to do things by accident.  Automobiles would be one example.  Automobiles aren’t a BAD idea but they can hurt things.

you're implying anything with "auto" in it's name is unsafe and shouldn't be trusted, which is entirely false.

6 minutes ago, rikupone said:

you're implying anything with "auto" in it's name is unsafe and shouldn't be trusted, which is entirely false.

No.  Again.  Not is, can.  Auto anything is by definition mindless.  Anything mindless that has potential to do harm can be dangerous.  Doesn’t mean it is though. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i downloaded it and it opened a bunch of random apps and slowed down my browser speed, when the autoclicker want on. Install it at ur own risk

9 hours ago, KILZER said:

i downloaded it and it opened a bunch of random apps and slowed down my browser speed, when the autoclicker want on. Install it at ur own risk

This is the problem with an unusually high percentage of automation programs.  Any program can be made into a weapon, but it’s often easier with auto stuff so part of the work is already done.  Criminals as a class have ha lower level of competence and a higher level of laziness.  Doesn’t mean they each individually are, but people who turn to crime often to so because they can’t cut it going straight. There are lots of reasons for this but lack of competence is one of them.  Such people will be more likely to go for an automation program simply because it’s less work to turn it into malware.