CPU cooler recommendation.

Bruh1

Hi

I'm looking for a cpu air cooler recommendation or maybe a decent water cooler that isnt too expensive.

I'm cooling a R5 3600 and I just wanna replace the stock cooler cause of how dam loud it is.

I'd love for it to be easy installation cause I was planning on buying a cooler with this new build but I didn't cause how much hassle people are going through with the backplate of the mobo i bought (b450m mortar max) and that they have to contact the seller to send them the right screws and such.

Something that might be quieter than the stock cooler doesn't matter if it ocing isnt possible , not planning on doing that anyways...

2 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

Hi

I'm looking for a cpu air cooler recommendation or maybe a decent water cooler that isnt too expensive.

I'm cooling a R5 3600 and I just wanna replace the stock cooler cause of how dam loud it is.

I'd love for it to be easy installation cause I was planning on buying a cooler with this new build but I didn't cause how much hassle people are going through with the backplate of the mobo i bought (b450m mortar max) and that they have to contact the seller to send them the right screws and such.

Something that might be quieter than the stock cooler doesn't matter if it ocing isnt possible , not planning on doing that anyways...

What case are you using for your system and/or what radiator support does it have and what country are you shopping from?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What case are you using for your system and/or what radiator support does it have and what country are you shopping from?

Using the Cooler master NR600 , shopping in France , it can support up to 6.54 inches (166mm) cpu cooler height. 

For cheap performance: Cooler Master Hyper 212

For silence: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 (I think you can fit the Pro version but the non-pro should work nicely).

For water: I dunno.. I can't sleep with water in my PC... :P

9 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

Hi

i have the exact cpu and mobo as yours.

check the cooler tier list in the forum. 3600 is a 65w cpu and if you won't oc, any hyper 212 and above cooler will do. just get one base on your budget, availability and whether it can be fit into your case.

Based on your preference that is less trouble, i wouldn't recommond water aio as it may end up troublesome down the track.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

2 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

i have the exact cpu and mobo as yours.

check the cooler tier list in the forum. 3600 is a 65w cpu and if you won't oc, any hyper 212 and above cooler will do. just get one base on your budget, availability and whether it can be fit into your case.

Based on your preference that is less trouble, i wouldn't recommond water aio as it may end up troublesome down the track.

Yea I don't wanna bother with water cooling either, but I just want something thats more silent than the stock cooler cause I sometimes study on this PC and the fan is kinda loud for my liking even at idle... reaching 45c on idle as well.

I'll probably look into BeQuiet coolers since their name and they are a well known brand they will probably offer the best silent coolers.

maybe a noctula

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

Yea I don't wanna bother with water cooling either, but I just want something thats more silent than the stock cooler cause I sometimes study on this PC and the fan is kinda loud for my liking even at idle... reaching 45c on idle as well.

I'll probably look into BeQuiet coolers since their name and they are a well known brand they will probably offer the best silent coolers.

you know what, water coolers aren't necessarily quieter than air; a common misconception is that they always are ;)

if you want low noise, yes, be quiet is a good candidate, but imo form factor is more important than brand (of course always buy from reputable brand) - you can get the beefiest cooler (= more surface area; twin tower if possible) that's compatible with your case and ram clearance and set the cooler fan to low rpm.

PS never set air cooler fan to idle. passive cooling is way worse than you'd think.

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

27 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

Using the Cooler master NR600 , shopping in France , it can support up to 6.54 inches (166mm) cpu cooler height. 

23 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

For water: I dunno.. I can't sleep with water in my PC... :P

17 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

3 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

water coolers aren't necessarily quieter than air; a common misconception is that they always are ;)

There is a reason that AIOs are referred to as liquid coolers instead of water coolers, the liquid is not just water and that helps prevent build-up inside the loop. Custom water-cooling is honestly not worth it for cost and maintenance, unless you need the aesthetics, I would get an AIO or air cooler. Leaks with AIOs in general are extremely rare, you are far more likely to have a pump failure. If you're moving the system around often, get an AIO since it will put less stress on your motherboard and prevent potential damage (unless you are fine with removing and reinstalling the cooler when transporting the system). Bulky air coolers are also more difficult to install and remove than an AIO. It is a misconception that liquid coolers are quieter and offer better cooling performance than all air coolers, it depends on the model of air cooler and liquid cooler that you are comparing.

Here is my recommendation for an air cooler:    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/dGfhP6/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackyellow-cpu-cooler-acfre00044a

Here is my recommendation for an AIO liquid cooler (would recommend installing this as a top-mounted exhaust radiator):    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/9gRFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-lite-240-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pw-r1

@Boomwebsearch 

16 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

There is a reason that AIOs are referred to as liquid coolers instead of water coolers, the liquid is not just water and that helps prevent build-up inside the loop. Custom water-cooling is honestly not worth it for cost and maintenance, unless you need the aesthetics, I would get an AIO or air cooler. Leaks with AIOs in general are extremely rare, you are far more likely to have a pump failure. If you're moving the system around often, get an AIO since it will put less stress on your motherboard and prevent potential damage (unless you are fine with removing and reinstalling the cooler when transporting the system). Bulky air coolers are also more difficult to install and remove than an AIO. It is a misconception that liquid coolers are quieter and offer better cooling performance than all air coolers, it depends on the model of air cooler and liquid cooler that you are comparing.

Here is my recommendation for an air cooler:    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/dGfhP6/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackyellow-cpu-cooler-acfre00044a

Here is my recommendation for an AIO liquid cooler (would recommend installing this as a top-mounted exhaust radiator):    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/product/9gRFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-lite-240-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pw-r1

i thought given the context we all know what we are referring to when saying "water" coolers, but if you want to be picky about wording, sure, you are right. i should have said liquid aio not water because it's not water in there.

i find it interesting how people worry about air cooler damage during transport. it's a legit concern but surely it's not a common concern for most average home users. even for someone who, say, move houses once a year, it's a good opportunity to take off the cooler and reapply thermal (which is practically a mandatory but bare minimum annual maintenance task for all coolers air or liquid aio or custom waterloop).

PS no hard feeling but just expressing opinions

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

1 hour ago, LjjlijJ said:

i thought given the context we all know what we are referring to when saying "water" coolers, but if you want to be picky about wording, sure, you are right. i should have said liquid aio not water because it's not water in there.

i find it interesting how people worry about air cooler damage during transport. it's a legit concern but surely it's not a common concern for most average home users. even for someone who, say, move houses once a year, it's a good opportunity to take off the cooler and reapply thermal (which is practically a mandatory but bare minimum annual maintenance task for all coolers air or liquid aio or custom waterloop).

PS no hard feeling but just expressing opinions

Even if you are doing a custom liquid cooling loop, I would not recommend running on just distilled water, add some EK-CryoFuel or PrimoChill Liquid Utopia to prevent corrosion, the growth of bacteria, and other contaminants you don't want in your loop after some time. Some people move their desktop systems more frequently and swap processors on and off multiple times (such as on a test bench), AIOs make this much more simple and far less of a hassle, use a thermal pad instead of thermal paste so that you don't need to worry about reapplying and they are reusable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZFPOA2?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/EKWB-EK-CryoFuel-Concentrate-Coolant-Electric/dp/B07HYGG9H7/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=EK-CryoFuel&qid=1589905158&s=electronics&sr=1-22

https://www.amazon.com/PrimoChill-líquido-Utopia-15-ml-botella/dp/B00CDXQ22M/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=EK-CryoFuel&qid=1589905158&s=electronics&sr=1-20

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

For cheap performance: Cooler Master Hyper 212

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is still a good air cooler, although there are definitely newer coolers that offer better or extremely similar cooling performance at a lower price, such as DeepCool's Gammaxx 400 (usually 10 to 15 dollars cheaper than the Hyper 212) and offers pretty much equivalent or marginally better cooling performance with additional features including controllable RGB lighting.

https://www.amazon.fr/DEEP-COOL-Ventilateur-Processeur-Caloducs/dp/B082DZMMB9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=am4+air+cooler&qid=1589903357&sr=8-2-fkmr0

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, Bruh1 said:

Yes, if you want top of the line air cooling BeQuiet or Noctua are the way to go. They are roughly equivalent. Although Noctua leans a little towards more cooling performance and BeQuiet leans towards less noise. But even then the difference is minor.   

2 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I'll probably get that AIO tbh , cooler master is a good brand and this is a good price for a liquid cooler , its cheaper than the bequiet dark rock pro 4 (what a name lmao) and is probably more safe since there will be no ram clearance issues or smthing like that.

50 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is still a good air cooler, although there are definitely newer coolers that offer better or extremely similar cooling performance at a lower price, such as DeepCool's Gammaxx 400 (usually 10 to 15 dollars cheaper than the Hyper 212) and offers pretty much equivalent or marginally better cooling performance with additional features including controllable RGB lighting.

https://www.amazon.fr/DEEP-COOL-Ventilateur-Processeur-Caloducs/dp/B082DZMMB9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=am4+air+cooler&qid=1589903357&sr=8-2-fkmr0

I got my old 212 for 20-25 Dollars.. It is the only cheap CPU cooler I've used that's still is for sale. Other cheap coolers may perform the same for a lower cost but I don't have personal experience with them. It performs similarly to the Dark Rock 4 (non pro) when it comes to temps since I didn't notice any particular difference though I didn't use it for very long on my Ryzen. Anyway this is why I feel it's safe to recommend the 212.

23 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I got my old 212 for 20-25 Dollars.. It is the only cheap CPU cooler I've used that's still is for sale. Other cheap coolers may perform the same for a lower cost but I don't have personal experience with them. It performs similarly to the Dark Rock 4 (non pro) when it comes to temps since I didn't notice any particular difference though I didn't use it for very long on my Ryzen. Anyway this is why I feel it's safe to recommend the 212.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 was first released more than a decade back (in 2007) and was a good budget cooler, although since the demand for them has significantly increased overtime and since they've had more time to gain popularity, the cost has increased significantly (now costs $34.99 to buy). There are much better price to performance air coolers such as the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or if you want to stick to Cooler Master, there's the MasterAir MA410P RGB which costs $38.69 ($3.70 more for a modern-designed cooler with RGB lighting that can be disabled if you would like). Although, for best price to performance air cooling, I would still recommend the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 (quiet PWM fan with a nicely designed heatsink and at a very reasonable price).

Although for overall quiet operation, good memory clearance + ease to install/move, and price to performance cooling performance, I would recommend the MasterLiquid 240 if your budget would allow:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0763PS24T?tag=pcp09-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

610ajkxLwcL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

@Boomwebsearch 

13 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 was first released more than a decade back (in 2007) and was a good budget cooler, although since the demand for them has significantly increased overtime and since they've had more time to gain popularity, the cost has increased significantly (now costs $34.99 to buy). There are much better price to performance air coolers such as the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or if you want to stick to Cooler Master, there's the MasterAir MA410P RGB which costs $38.69 ($3.70 more for a modern-designed cooler with RGB lighting that can be disabled if you would like). Although, for best price to performance air cooling, I would still recommend the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 (quiet PWM fan with a nicely designed heatsink and at a very reasonable price).

Really? I can't find the old and trusty 212 Evo in my local e-shop anymore, only the black and rgb version.. I figured it was still cheap (I got it for one of my AM3 machines..) Thanks for that.

19 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Really? I can't find the old and trusty 212 Evo in my local e-shop anymore, only the black and rgb version.. I figured it was still cheap (I got it for one of my AM3 machines..) Thanks for that.

Yeah, unfortunately that's just how supply and demand works, I would recommend the MasterAir MA610P RGB which costs $5 more than the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition, although has 4 more heatpipes in total than the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition and has a dual-fan design instead of the single-fan design of the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition.

71mmxaPAXSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KNKR73/ref=twister_B083LXZ5HY

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Yeah, unfortunately that's just how supply and demand works, I would recommend the MasterAir MA610P RGB which costs $5 more than the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition, although has 4 more heatpipes in total than the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition and has a dual-fan design instead of the single-fan design of the Hyper 212 RGB Black edition.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KNKR73/ref=twister_B083LXZ5HY

Looks pretty good though, gotta admit.

5 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Even if you are doing a custom liquid cooling loop,

no one's doing / asking about doing custom waterloop

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Just now, LjjlijJ said:

I know, although I feel that it is better to state the information for future readers of this thread.

@Boomwebsearch 

4 hours ago, Bruh1 said:

I'll probably get that AIO tbh , cooler master is a good brand and this is a good price for a liquid cooler , its cheaper than the bequiet dark rock pro 4 (what a name lmao) and is probably more safe since there will be no ram clearance issues or smthing like that.

again, as a previous aio owner, i wouldn't recommond aio if you prefer less trouble down the track. (also i remember reading somewhere cl's lower end aios have some qc issues. if you are set on getting one of their cheaper ones, make sure you do some product reseach before commiting a purchase.

i quote myself from a different post:

generally speaking

with noise equalised top aios beat top airs without breaking a sweat

with noise equilised 240mm &+ aios outperform airs at equavalent price ranges.

with noise equilised 120mm aios don't perform meaningfully better than most competent air coolers and can often be worse than the better ones, and are much pricier.

aios have more points of failure and harder quality control and failing of one can have catastrophic outcome. Even with high quality aios you still need to worry about liquid permiating the tubes the degree of which can't be reliably observed unless you open up the tubes, meaning at rather arbitrary time intervals (usually the warranty period) you need to replace tubes & liquids or even the entire AIO the former of which can degrade the reliability of the existing aio resulting in higher likelihood of failure.

meanwhile, if the fan on an aircooler fails, you can see it and easily replace it.

aios provide superior ram clearance, and in this time and age you can expect aios overall to have better compatibility than airs overall.

aesthetics are a personal thing: LED pumps look absolutely sick; some air cooler designs can only be described as badass.

Edited by LjjlijJ
supplement info

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

6 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Bulky air coolers are also more difficult to install and remove than an AIO. It is a misconception that liquid coolers are quieter and offer better cooling performance than all air coolers, it depends on the model of air cooler and liquid cooler that you are comparing.

Debatable. Similar to how performance / noise depends on the cooler model, so does the installation. There are plenty of easy and hard to install coolers on both sides. 

I'd say the easiest coolers to install are probably air coolers and the most difficult are probably liquid and there's plenty of overlap in difficulty. 

@Bruh1 What ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

27 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

custom water loops are just not worth it tbh .... imagine having to clean it every couple of months its just too mcuh pain for aesthetics only... a good AIO probably performs as good as a custom or even better.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Debatable. Similar to how performance / noise depends on the cooler model, so does the installation. There are plenty of easy and hard to install coolers on both sides. 

I'd say the easiest coolers to install are probably air coolers and the most difficult are probably liquid and there's plenty of overlap in difficulty. 

@Bruh1 What ram are you using?

im using a 3600 mhz Ballistix kit from cruical. These:https://www.crucial.fr/products/gaming-memory

5 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

with noise equalised top aios beat top airs without breaking a sweat

with noise equilised 240mm &+ aios outperform airs at equavalent price ranges.

with noise equilised 120mm aios don't perform meaningfully better than most competent air coolers and can often be worse than the better ones, and are much pricier.

7 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

aios provide superior ram clearance, and in this time and age you can expect aios overall to have better compatibility than airs overall.

I agree with this for the most part, although it depends on the model of AIO and air cooler that you are comparing.

8 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

aios have more points of failure and harder quality control and failing of one can have catastrophic outcome. Even with high quality aios you still need to worry about liquid permiating the tubes the degree of which can't be reliably observed unless you open up the tubes, meaning at rather arbitrary time intervals (usually the warranty period) you need to replace tubes & liquids or even the entire AIO the former of which can degrade the reliability of the existing aio resulting in higher likelihood of failure.

meanwhile, if the fan on an aircooler fails, you can see it and easily replace it.

If you are looking for better reliability, then you may want to go with an air cooler, liquid cooler's aren't always better necessarily, although with higher TDP chips, liquid coolers may be able to give you more cooling performance for the cost. You should decide if you want an air or AIO liquid cooler based on what needs you have (prioritizing cooling performance for cost, needing to move the system around often, needing to swap CPUs quickly, etc) and if they are worth the disadvantages of the cooling system.

@Boomwebsearch