STP(CAT6) or Coax?

Hello,

My ISP has provided my internet connection through a Coax cable and has given me a modem with a tiny ethernet cable.

However I don't have any use for that modem and personally, I don't like it. 

So I was thinking whether I should ask my ISP to change the connection to STP and plug-in the Ethernet jack straight into my router.

My network currently comprises a bunch of mobile devices and a few laptops. In future I wish to create a "server" like thingy to access files and stuff. Is coax/modem required for that?

Also, I read that Coax introduces much less noise than STP wires, so would it be sensible to make the switch?

Is there any reliability issues with STP during thunderstorms or such?

I wanted to switch to Fibre connection but I'm afraid that would be costly, useless and perhaps unavailable in my present 60Mbps connection.

The Current wire length is about 25m from my ISP's box to my router.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

However I don't have any use for that modem and personally, I don't like it. 

So I was thinking whether I should ask my ISP to change the connection to STP and plug-in the Ethernet jack straight into my router.

Short version: You need the modem.

Long version: Thats not how that works... you can't just decide since you don't like something, you don't need it. If you don't like your router, will you just decide you longer need that? Anyways point is the internet comes to the house on coax, which is pretty standard, but the router can't understand the signal that is on the coax. The modem is what takes the signal from the coax and converts it to something the router will understand. If you ask the ISP to change the connection to STP, assuming they decide to actually do it for some reason, all they are going to do is connect a modem anyway, you just won't have access to it anymore. 

9 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If you ask the ISP to change the connection to STP, assuming they decide to actually do it for some reason, all they are going to do is connect a modem anyway, you just won't have access to it anymore. 

Would that be much of a problem? In that case I don't have to plug an appliance which runs extremely hot and has an AC-DC converter plug that is quite difficult to plug in.

That is the pro that I am thinking, I am not sure about the cons.

Just now, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Would that be much of a problem? In that case I don't have to plug an appliance which runs extremely hot and has a AC-DC converter plug that is quite difficult to plug in.

That is the pro that I am thinking, I am not sure about the cons.

I was just saying the downside if they hypothetically could do it. Realistically, there is almost no chance that will happen. 

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

I was just saying the downside if they hypothetically could do it. Realistically, there is almost no chance that will happen. 

I think they might just do it. Because in two of my friends' apartment they did just that. Is it necessary to have access to the modem?

Because currently I don't have any configuration access to it (other than the physical access).

I was worried about the difference of durability and noise between the two carriers (Coax and CAT6). Since I live in a tropical weather, thunderstorms and heavy rainfall are quite common.

29 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I think they might just do it. Because in two of my friends' apartment they did just that. Is it necessary to have access to the modem?

Because currently I don't have any configuration access to it (other than the physical access).

I was worried about the difference of durability and noise between the two carriers (Coax and CAT6). Since I live in a tropical weather, thunderstorms and heavy rainfall are quite common.

I'm not sure how everything is wired in apartments there, but in my experience it is usually coax to the unit, then you use a modem. If your friends have done it then ask them how they did it. 

8 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I'm not sure how everything is wired in apartments there, but in my experience it is usually coax to the unit, then you use a modem. If your friends have done it then ask them how they did it. 

It isn't anything like that. Since the appartments are old, they don't have any network wiring, neither coax nor CAT6. The ISP just puts in a cable from the nearest box , which is visible at all times and they connect their router to it.

If you remember  how  old telephone posts used to work. So, if there is a modem, either I have to keep it in my home or the ISP can connect it to their post.

5 hours ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I read that Coax introduces much less noise than STP wires,

Id say thats wrong. Coax, well ISPs that use Coax tend to use 5 Mhz to 1 Ghz or so for TV and Internet Services. You know what else uses those bands? Broadcast TV, Cellular, etc. As a result if the coax cable or a connector goes bad, you will have tons of noise on the wire. I can tell you for a fact I have a bit of interfrence on my coax delivering my internet. You can check for it in your modems diaonstic pages if you have access. 

Also if you internet is delivered by Coax then you eaither have a Cable provider or a Fiber provider. If you have a Cable provider then the modem is 110% needed. If its a Fiber provider then going straight Ethernet is probably OK. 

3 hours ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

either I have to keep it in my home or the ISP can connect it to their post.

What if you modem needs to be rebooted? You going to call the ISP every time? When you can just unplug it. Also here in Murica they dont provide us with that kind of option. All of the utilities in my area are in the air. So they have no option to keep the modem in a post, even places that have underground utilities dont do that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

41 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

As a result if the coax cable or a connector goes bad, you will have tons of noise on the wire. I can tell you for a fact I have a bit of interfrence on my coax delivering my internet. You can check for it in your modems diaonstic pages if you have access. 

Thanks for that. Problem is I have no access on my Modem. Also, I don't know if I can buy another modem because my operator isn't answering clearly.

44 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Also if you internet is delivered by Coax then you eaither have a Cable provider or a Fiber provider. If you have a Cable provider then the modem is 110% needed. If its a Fiber provider then going straight Ethernet is probably OK. 

I am pretty certain that my provider is Cable. Unfortunately, my ISP is a company which hires various network providers to provide the connection. And at this point I don't know if switching to a fibre provider (if one exists in my area) would be economically a good decision.

The main problem I have with my modem is that I have no access to it and the ethernet cable being small, I have to keep it beside my router and thus have to keep them in a region with two power socket (because both the modem's and router's power plug cannot be plugged into a 3 pin due to their sizes).

8 hours ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

The main problem I have with my modem is that I have no access to it and the ethernet cable being small, I have to keep it beside my router and thus have to keep them in a region with two power socket (because both the modem's and router's power plug cannot be plugged into a 3 pin due to their sizes).

Buy a longer ethernet cable?  That bit you CAN replace.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7