Cooling

hi everyone!

i got a 3700X and i think my stock cooler isn't doing a good job. it feels like its throwing the heat to the case (Fractal Design Meshify C) space and making it even more difficult i have a GTX 1070TI that's generating tons of heat on its own. i have 2 intakes on the top, 2 intakes in the front, an exhaust at the rear and another exhaust on the bottom front fan mount. i have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here with the cooling and because of that i get stutters and frame drops

do you have any suggestions? things i should buy? things i should reconfigure? 

2 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

hi everyone!

i got a 3700X and i think my stock cooler isn't doing a good job. it feels like its throwing the heat to the case (Fractal Design Meshify C) space and making it even more difficult i have a GTX 1070TI that's generating tons of heat on its own. i have 2 intakes on the top, 2 intakes in the front, an exhaust at the rear and another exhaust on the bottom front fan mount. i have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here with the cooling and because of that i get stutters and frame drops

What amount of money are you willing to spend on a cooler?

What would you prefer an aio or an air cooler ?

But most importantly budget?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Before buying a new CPU cooler I'd first try setting up my fans in a way that actually makes sense. Set your front and bottom fans as intakes, and rear and top fans as exhausts.

The stock cooler should be fine for stock speeds. What temperatures are you hitting on your CPU that it makes you think that that's what's causing stuttering/frame drops in games (check with Ryzen Master or HWiNFO)?

Also, please don't make three separate posts for the same thing. We'll see it even if you post it once in a single section of the forum.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

11 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

hi everyone!

Change the top 2 to exhaust and the bottom to intake

What ram do you have and what is the configuration

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

What amount of money are you willing to spend on a cooler?

What would you prefer an aio or an air cooler ?

But most importantly budget?

id say around 300$ although it feels a lot for a cooler. i have corsair products so would be nice to have corsair but not a must. and i don't mind air or AIO cooler but if there is a budget option for a good AIO that would be nice, thinking AIO's are generally better than air coolers

3 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

id say around 300$ although it feels a lot for a cooler. i have corsair products so would be nice to have corsair but not a must. and i don't mind air or AIO cooler but if there is a budget option for a good AIO that would be nice, thinking AIO's are generally better than air coolers

fix your case flow first.

heat rises btw

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Before buying a new CPU cooler I'd first try setting up my fans in a way that actually makes sense. Set your front and bottom fans as intakes, and rear and top fans as exhausts.

The stock cooler should be fine for stock speeds. What temperatures are you hitting on your CPU that it makes you think that that's what's causing stuttering/frame drops in games (check with Ryzen Master or HWiNFO)?

Also, please don't make three separate posts for the same thing. We'll see it even if you post it once in a single section of the forum.

i can set it that way but im afraid the top exhaust will take fresh air from the CPU from the top front fan. what do you think?

im getting 63.3 on my CPU and 57 on gpu (both are from the max column on HWinfo)

8 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

I didn't read the airflow part of your post but now that I have I agree with @Mister Woof said 

First improve airflow and then the cooler 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, Soldier_boy said:

im afraid the top exhaust will take fresh air from the CPU from the top front fan. what do you think?

No it won't do that 

If there is intake inthe front the cpu will get the fresh air from there (typically the best config )

Build Log: 

do this

upload_2016-1-18_13-56-17-png.71169

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

2X16GB sticks of vengeance pro rgb 3000mhz

Just now, Soldier_boy said:

2X16GB sticks of vengeance pro rgb 3000mhz

elaborate on stutters and frame drops.

what games

what settings

what situations

Just now, Mister Woof said:

do this

upload_2016-1-18_13-56-17-png.71169

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it won't do that 

If there is intake inthe front the cpu will get the fresh air from there (typically the best config )

ill give it a try and come back to you guys, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, Mister Woof said:

On 5/18/2020 at 8:16 PM, Mateyyy said:

hey guys, coming back to you with results (took way to long then it should, personal life issues)

after configurating my fans to 3 intakes at the front and 3 exhaust (2 top and 1 rear) the system feels a lot better.

using HWiNFO64 im getting 459 C on CPU Die on average and 55C on the GPU (after using spotify for a couple of hours (and watching an LTT video haha)

after playing for an hour (apex legends) im getting 50.5 on CPU and 59 on GPU 

it feels a ton better and i have to thank you guys for the help, tho im still having stuttering and frame drops... any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Soldier_boy said:

459 C

I'm gonna assume you mean 59c 🤣

Build Log: 

41 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

hey guys, coming back to you with results (took way to long then it should, personal life issues)

after configurating my fans to 3 intakes at the front and 3 exhaust (2 top and 1 rear) the system feels a lot better.

using HWiNFO64 im getting 459 C on CPU Die on average and 55C on the GPU (after using spotify for a couple of hours (and watching an LTT video haha)

after playing for an hour (apex legends) im getting 50.5 on CPU and 59 on GPU 

it feels a ton better and i have to thank you guys for the help, tho im still having stuttering and frame drops... any suggestions?

can you report what windows resource manager says for your memory usage?

task manager -> performance -> memory

specifically under hardware reserved section

memory.thumb.png.445505cf68bd9671745a3131b612f62d.png tab

Just now, Mister Woof said:

And do you have xmp/dcop on ?

Build Log: 

19 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'm gonna assume you mean 59c 🤣

lol yeah haha

18 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

18 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

And do you have xmp/dcop on ?

i do have dcop on. i also set it to asus optimal in the bios (seem'd like a good choice, i think it does something like an AI overclock or something lik e that)

Annotation 2020-06-01 163011.png

52 minutes ago, Soldier_boy said:

so what do i do? @Mister Woof

I don't really know what's the next step.

Some user get hardware reserved ram problem but doesn't seem to be case.

What games, what resolution, and what do you mean by frame drops/stuttering?

i mainly play apex legends. i play on 1080p, not pushing the setting too much. and by frame drops/ stuttering i mean the game just suddenly gets stuck for a super short moment (feels like a frame) and i look at the frame counter and see that i dropped from 144 to 30 and its rising back up. sometimes its server issues (i can tell by the weird server signs appearing in the right corner of the screen) but usually it looks like its my PCs problem. is there any chance that the problem is the HDD? i have a 7200rpm toshiba one that is about 5 y.o