GPU to pair with dual X5670's

I'm looking for some pointers on what GPU to pair with my dual Xeons. Something with VGA output would be preferred (to connect to my touch monitor) but not essential. I currently have a GTX1050 2GB and it's running 95% constantly in game with the CPU total usage at about 15-20%. Any game, it bangs out over 200 FPS in Source based games (Gmod, Portal etc), and between 30 and 60 in more demanding games (SoT, GTA v, even Subnautica wants more). It's never a stable 60 though.

I run everything virtualised so there's some slight overhead there (but not worth bothering with) and will be streaming using a second VM. I will be passing through the 1050 to the streaming VM and giving the main one the new card, whatever it happens to be. Replacing the machine is an option but not yet. I'd need a 7700k minimum to match the multi-threaded performance I get with this system. It's not just a gaming machine, so having that high core/thread count makes more sense than dropping down to a quad just for better IPC and slightly better potential game performance.

As the GPU is always maxed out and I never get high single core loads, I believe the GPU is the bottleneck at the moment and an overpowered card to replace it is probably a good idea. Means if I ever upgrade to a more modern platform I already have a heafty GPU to make the most of it.

do you have a limited budget for this card or could you buy sth like a titan rtx?

4 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

do you have a limited budget for this card or could you buy sth like a titan rtx?

£200-250 absolute maximum and no issue going used. Lower the better obviously.

I should add that I only have PCIe 2.0 on this machine but both GPU slots are 16x, one to each PCH.

4 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

£200-250 absolute maximum and no issue going used. Lower the better obviously.

I should add that I only have PCIe 2.0 on this machine but both GPU slots are 16x, one to each PCH.

i think you might be able to snatch sth like a used gtx 1080 ti or a vega 64(will be much easier) but if you dont need that much performance you can with sth like a 1070

7 hours ago, ki8aras said:

i think you might be able to snatch sth like a used gtx 1080 ti or a vega 64(will be much easier) but if you dont need that much performance you can with sth like a 1070

I can get a brand new 1070ti Mini 8GB for £300. May just spring the extra and go for that on payday :)

14 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I can get a brand new 1070ti Mini 8GB for £300. May just spring the extra and go for that on payday :)

sure why not, its your money