UPS Suggestions

TrinityHigh

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask. 

I am looking to buy a UPS for my system. If I can get anywhere from 5-15 minutes, that's good for me. Just enough time to save what I am doing and shut down. Or in case of a power outage, it can keep my fibre internet router up and running for a while. 

Here is what I will have plugged into to it: (3 monitors, computer, phone charger, sit stand desk, & speaker - power bar into the UPS) + a internet router and a printer. 

Thanks! 

IMG_0028.jpg

That’s a whole lot of stuff for a UPS.  Do you actually need all of it on the UPS?  SOP for determining such things is get everything onto one power strip then use a power meter to find out how much everything draws, then go from there.

i got no idea how much you will need myself.  UPSes start shoebox size, move to mini fridge size then gasoline generators start appearing. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a whole lot of stuff for a UPS.  Do you actually need all of it on the UPS?  SOP for determining such things is get everything onto one power strip then use a power meter to find out how much everything draws, then go from there.

i got no idea how much you will need myself.  UPSes start shoebox size, move to mini fridge size then gasoline generators start appearing. 

So I'd probably want 2 power bars - 1 monitor and the PC --- plugged into the battery backup part of the UPS. 
Another bar for the other 2 monitors, desk motors, speaker, and phone charger --- plugged into the surge protection section of the UPS. 

That way only 2 items are actually taking advantage of the UPS? Think that would be ok? 

1 hour ago, TrinityHigh said:

So I'd probably want 2 power bars - 1 monitor and the PC --- plugged into the battery backup part of the UPS. 
Another bar for the other 2 monitors, desk motors, speaker, and phone charger --- plugged into the surge protection section of the UPS. 

That way only 2 items are actually taking advantage of the UPS? Think that would be ok? 

Ah.  So the purpose of the UPS isn’t power up it’s power cleaning?  Phone charger wont need power cleaning unless there’s a major surge problem.  Is this a country with “eccentric” electrical power like India or japan?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  So the purpose of the UPS isn’t power up it’s power cleaning?  Phone charger wont need power cleaning unless there’s a major surge problem.  Is this a country with “eccentric” electrical power like India or japan?

No, I'm in Canada. During the summer, we have some "brown outs" and full power outages due to the maintenance work I do on the underground hydro power plant. (from April - November) I just want something that can handle my PC and monitor to be able to shut down properly during a sudden power outage. 

4 minutes ago, TrinityHigh said:

No, I'm in Canada. During the summer, we have some "brown outs" and full power outages due to the maintenance work I do on the underground hydro power plant. (from April - November) I just want something that can handle my PC and monitor to be able to shut down properly during a sudden power outage. 

Ah.  With my area it’s squirrels crawling into power transformers and blowing themselves up.  Some UPSes do that.  Have some outlets that aren’t battery backed up.  Surge protection is just a breaker though.  You can get a decent surge protector on a computer power strip without having to resort to a UPS.

14 hours ago, TrinityHigh said:

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask. 

I am looking to buy a UPS for my system. If I can get anywhere from 5-15 minutes, that's good for me. Just enough time to save what I am doing and shut down. Or in case of a power outage, it can keep my fibre internet router up and running for a while. 

Here is what I will have plugged into to it: (3 monitors, computer, phone charger, sit stand desk, & speaker - power bar into the UPS) + a internet router and a printer. 

Thanks! 

I would recommend the CyberPower LX1500GU, I have been using this UPS with my computer, monitor, NAS, router, modem and it works great switching to battery in around 4ms while providing sufficient runtime, also has 2 USB ports for charging. For better runtime, I would recommend connecting some of your equipment that does not need battery-backup into the surge-protected only port/s of the UPS for longer runtimes and/or better battery longevity. 

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pc-battery-backup/lx1500gu/

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

On 5/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, Boomwebsearch said:

I would recommend the CyberPower LX1500GU, I have been using this UPS with my computer, monitor, NAS, router, modem and it works great switching to battery in around 4ms while providing sufficient runtime, also has 2 USB ports for charging. For better runtime, I would recommend connecting some of your equipment that does not need battery-backup into the surge-protected only port/s of the UPS for longer runtimes and/or better battery longevity. 

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pc-battery-backup/lx1500gu/

Awesome. I will go with that. I will have two power bars coming down from my desk. One for PC, monitor, and router into surge + battery backup. The rest of my equipment into the surge protector like you said. Thanks! 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:35 PM, Boomwebsearch said:

I would recommend the CyberPower

Myself and a mate bought a 650VA unit a few years ago and both died literally within a month of the 1yr warranty running out. Olso on both units the batteries physically split (very bad) and the even with the batteries removed the ups would not power on or show any signs of life.

I contacted CyberPower in the UK and to be blunt, they were f**king useless. So my 2 cents, don't buy anything from them, go with APC or some other brand that is known for supplying server/comms room UPS products.

Edited by b1k3rdude
grammer.

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

25 minutes ago, b1k3rdude said:

Myself and a mate bought a 650VA unit a few years ago and both died literally within a month of the 1yr warranty running out. Olso on both units the batteries physically split (very bad) and the even with the batteries removed the ups would not power on or show any signs of life.

I contacted CyberPower in the UK and to be blunt, they were fucking useless. So my 2 cents, don't buy anything from them, go with APC or some other brand that is know for supplying server/comms room UPS products.

CyberPower does make many server-grade UPS units, although those are significantly more expensive and typically not practical to be used for a home-use due to cost (unless you find a used/refurbished unit at a really good deal). Not sure if they may only have issues on their lower-end units, only have worked with their high-end options and they all work great without any issues. The warranty is most of the times useless if you are buying used/refurbished, if you're buying new then make sure that you register your product for the warranty. On models such as the LX1500GU from Cyberpower, they have a 3 year warranty.

Although I'm curious, what model of UPS did you have fail and what did CyberPower do about it (did they offer you a replacement or new unit at discount, to repair your unit, etc)?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Any company can make a bad model.  A few companies never make good ones and more only rarely make good ones.  As engineering has gotten harder to do and marketing and cost/benefit analysis have gotten more central to manufacturing brand has come to mean less and model has come to mean more.  

On 5/25/2020 at 3:25 PM, Bombastinator said:

Any company can make a bad model.  A few companies never make good ones and more only rarely make good ones.  As engineering has gotten harder to do and marketing and cost/benefit analysis have gotten more central to manufacturing brand has come to mean less and model has come to mean more.  

Yeah but two of the same model from 2 different suppliers? And both of said models to spectacularly die just outside of the warranty? And then when queried on the above the manufacturer stonewalls the customer demonstrating a clear give-a-f**k attitude! This doesn't engender faith or any kind of bare bones trust in that company or their products.

Ryzen 9 5900X | ALFII 280 | X570 MEG ACE | 32GB Patriot 3733-CL16-20-20-38 | Msi Tri-X 4080 | S-Blaster Z | Sabrent Rocket4 plus-g, Crucial P1, WD Green | Fractal ION 850W 80+ Gold | Define R6 | LG 34GN850 | L-tech K120 & Razer D-adder Mini |

On 5/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, Boomwebsearch said:

Although I'm curious, what model of UPS did you have fail and what did CyberPower do about it (did they offer you a replacement or new unit at discount, to repair your unit, etc)?

CyberPower Value600EILCD and no because it was (only just) out of warranty. I fully appreciate that I had no right expect anything from CP as a result of the warranty expiration. What annoyed me was the way it was handled and getting no reaction to the fact a battery split and would have it been considered reasonable for me to check the physical state of the batteries during the warranty period..? I only discovered this issue (battery acid) after I took the unit apart precisely because it was out of warranty.