HOW MUCH DO YOU HATE VGA

Nathamio

I hate the balls out of vga, at school, my teacher's laptops have vga, hdmi, and displayport. but they insist on using vga even though the projector has hdmi wired to the wall. I HATE IT. Do you guys know that feel, tell me about it.

CLARIFICATION: I understand sometimes vga is necessary, but when people have a better option but opt for vga it bugs me. Also, two of my teachers have 120hz tvs, which is why it bugs me. I just feel like vga is no longer necessary and should fade away much faster by now. I don't really hate vga, but I've had to use it for such a long time that I can tell the difference between a vga connection and dvi. I guess I was being kinda asshole about the whole thing, vga is ok, but there is just no reason to choose to use it instead of a newer solution if you have the option to do so. 

not that much...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Until 2 days ago my 2nd display was plugged with VGA, and I never notice anything wrong with it.  What have you experience with VGA that made you hate it?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I hate the balls out of vga, at school, my teacher's laptops have vga, hdmi, and displayport. but they insist on using vga even though the projector has hdmi wired to the wall. I HATE IT. Do you guys know that feel, tell me about it.

It could be the fact people are so used to using VGA. or the school does not provide HDMI cables to the teachers. No need to get all mad about it. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Honestly, I could never tell a difference, but I still don't use it. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I love VGA. I wish to have its babies and form a family of mini-VGA's. 

For real though, the picture is far clearer watching content on my 40" TV though VGA @ 1080p than though my HDMI cable. And for years I've used VGA as its a perfectly good standard for anything below 1080p. Its a perfect substitute for most of the cables on anything less than the high res and high refresh rate equipment that is starting to break into mainstream. Only real problem is lack of audio through the cable, but that doesnt matter to most people in most situations. 

Until 2 days ago my 2nd display was plugged with VGA, and I never notice anything wrong with it.  What have you experience with VGA that made you hate it?

They break the pins in like a week.

For real though, the picture is far clearer watching content on my 40" TV though VGA @ 1080p than though my HDMI cable. And for years I've used VGA as its a perfectly good standard for anything below 1080p. Its a perfect substitute for most of the cables on anything less than the high res and high refresh rate equipment that is starting to break into mainstream. Only real problem is lack of audio through the cable, but that doesnt matter to most people in most situations. 

I worship displayport, 1440p ftw.

They break the pins in like a week.

The pins are EXACTLY the same pins that DVI uses, and the connector is way more sturdy than HDMI, that one breaks way more easy.

I'm not saying you have to love it, just don't see a reason to "HATE IT"

The pins are EXACTLY the same pins that DVI uses, and the connector is way more sturdy than HDMI, that one breaks way more easy.

They still manage to break it.

If you want clear picture get a monitor.

If you want clear picture get a monitor.

With Displayport too.

Yeah... that is more an issue with the user.  :lol:

I get a lot of screen flicker (by that I mean you can kind of see the refreshing of the displays with white lines running across just like old cathode tvs) by using VGA. It's also a lot less sharper. It made a world of difference when I got my DVI cable a week after using VGA.

However if there is a connection I hate more than all of them, it has to be HDMI. The stupid piece of crap has to be in the perfect direction and all that otherwise the signal cuts off! You move your laptop a little while it's connected to HDMI and it's over. HDMI is absolutely horrid. At least VGA screws in. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Don't really care imo as long as it projects the resolution that I need. But I prefer using HDMI/DVI.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah... that is more an issue with the user.  :lol:

That might be what bugs me

vga can be handy at times so i don't hate it

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I don't know where you get that from. Analog display cables such as VGA suck, but they are very solid. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I prefer dvi over vga really.

I prefer dvi over vga really.

so do i but like i said vga can be handy at times and thats why i keep a spare vga cable around

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

It just seems so obsolete since there are so many better options. Like why does my asus ips monitor has a vga plug?

so do i but like i said vga can be handy at times and thats why i keep a spare vga cable around

I do have my pc from 98, 800x600, a perfect task for vga.

I actually like VGA. I've been using it the past 3-5 years. The only reason I switched to HDMI is because I built a new computer and I had an HDMI cable laying around so I didn't have to get a converter.

It just seems so obsolete since there are so many better options. Like why does my asus ips monitor has a vga plug?

Because not all devices have HDMI, DVI, DISPLAY PORT outputs.  :lol:

If someone ever asks you to help them fix an old core 2 duo PC and you realize there is nothing but VGA in the PC to connect, you'll be happy to have that VGA.