Are NAS work through online?

Hello, I just built my computer and I was thinking of buying a NAS because it’s cheaper and more secure than buying internet cloud storage. Is it possible to put photos, videos (4k 60FPS), documents, movies, Apple Music and video games on the NAS for backup? Also can you access NAS when you are not at home through phone or laptop? For example, if I’m at school and forgot a document, will I access the NAS cloud through my phone? I was about to buy either a 2 slot or a 4 slot NAS base. I was thinking for the 2 slot base to put 2 HDD 2tb storage OR for the 4 slot base option to put 4 HDD 1tb. I’m kind of on a budget as well. Which NAS base and HDD’s I should have for a budget wise and can support all of these wish lists I said, especially it should support 4k 60 videos since I’m an intermediate video editor. Also I don’t have anyone else sharing this NAS, I’m going to put this personal. Please advices in comments!

Just now, austind903 said:

Also can you access NAS when you are not at home through phone or laptop

yes, if you set it up to do so, you can use a vpn, or someting like netxtcloud

Just now, austind903 said:

. Is it possible to put photos, videos (4k 60FPS), documents, movies, Apple Music and video games on the NAS for backup?

yea, that will work fine.

1 minute ago, austind903 said:

. I’m kind of on a budget as well.

do you have a number in mind?

1 minute ago, austind903 said:

I was thinking for the 2 slot base to put 2 HDD 2tb storage OR for the 4 slot base option to put 4 HDD 1tb

So you only need 2tb total? 

3 minutes ago, austind903 said:

especially it should support 4k 60 videos since I’m an intermediate video editor.

what bitrate? Editing off a lower end nas is gonna be bad, id just put a ssd in your system for that foota.ge

Also that 4k60 footage will use up 2tb very fast.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yes, if you set it up to do so, you can use a vpn, or someting like netxtcloud

yea, that will work fine.

do you have a number in mind?

So you only need 2tb total? 

what bitrate? Editing off a lower end nas is gonna be bad, id just put a ssd in your system for that foota.ge

Also that 4k60 footage will use up 2tb very fast.

Thanks! I am thinking of 4 tb of storage in total. Like I said, I was thinking either the 2 slot NAS base and put (two 2tb HDD) or a 4 slot NAS (1tb HDD each of the 4 slots). I would say the price range for my budget is under $450. 

2 minutes ago, austind903 said:

Thanks! I am thinking of 4 tb of storage in total. Like I said, I was thinking either the 2 slot NAS base and put (two 2tb HDD) or a 4 slot NAS (1tb HDD each of the 4 slots). I would say the price range for my budget is under $450. 

Whats your backup plan? How will you backup the data from the nas?

What model do you plan to get? Id probably get a synology here as there easy to use.

Id start with one drive if you don't need much storage and redundancy, and the add more drives later on.

54 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats your backup plan? How will you backup the data from the nas?

What model do you plan to get? Id probably get a synology here as there easy to use.

Id start with one drive if you don't need much storage and redundancy, and the add more drives later on.

Okay thank you for the recommendation. I was planning on moving my older 2 tb External hard drive to the NAS. However the 2tb drive just contains photos and videos I took when I was a young teen. The external hard drive is old and having issues. I used 900 Gb. It’s not necessary to put that data to the NAS and waste almost 1tb that I won’t use for a while. However, I was thinking of just buying a new 1tb ssd external hard drive, putting my older data in there and store it safely away for a long time. Just for memory lane. Is it safe doing that? If that works, my plan for the NAS is I will be putting my google photos (don’t trust google’s security), Apple Music, few movies, Video editing, few video games, documents for my work, documents for my school, and I will definitely use it for my PC backup to the NAS. I know you said 2tb is too little. For the future when I buy more drives I was thinking 4tb, or should I go higher?

39 minutes ago, austind903 said:

Okay thank you for the recommendation. I was planning on moving my older 2 tb External hard drive to the NAS. However the 2tb drive just contains photos and videos I took when I was a young teen. The external hard drive is old and having issues. I used 900 Gb. It’s not necessary to put that data to the NAS and waste almost 1tb that I won’t use for a while. However, I was thinking of just buying a new 1tb ssd external hard drive, putting my older data in there and store it safely away for a long time. Just for memory lane. Is it safe doing that? If that works, my plan for the NAS is I will be putting my google photos (don’t trust google’s security), Apple Music, few movies, Video editing, few video games, documents for my work, documents for my school, and I will definitely use it for my PC backup to the NAS. I know you said 2tb is too little. For the future when I buy more drives I was thinking 4tb, or should I go higher?

SSD isn't the best idea for long term archive, a hdd would be better here, and cheaper, and probably get more than one for archiving data.

Normally you don't want games on the nas, just doesn't work well.

Id probably start with a 4tb then, add more drives as needed. THen backup the nas to the cloud or some external hdds.