What Ryzen CPU for 1080p 60fps?

Go to solution Solved by pstarlord,

I'd get one of the new Ryzen 3 CPU's for that.  3300 or 3100 both would do great. 

I was hoping someone here could help me find something that would be best for my set-up to avoid bottleneck, I want to upgrade from my FX-8370 because I have been told that the Piledriver architecture is bad, the FX-8370 is below minimum specifications for the Oculus Rift S, and I am worried that it won't last me as long as a Ryzen CPU. I really want Ryzen over Intel since I am a bit of a AMD fanboy. I am okay with waiting if 4th gen Ryzen would have a better option than the current generations. Here is as much info as I can think of that could help make it easier to answer my question. I'm sorry if the question isn't specific enough or if this has been asked, as far as I can tell this is how it is supposed to be asked and this hasn't been asked specifically.

Plans
 Gaming

Target Resolution
 1920x1080
Target Frame Rate
 60fps
Target Settings
 Lowest

Planned Graphics Card
 1060 6GB
Planned Ram
 16GB 3200MHz

Game Examples
 Garry's Mod
 Minecraft
 Halo MCC
 DOOM Eternal
 Half-Life Alyx
 Warframe

VR Headset
 Oculus Rift S

Budget
 Any price for the least bottleneck.

Other
 Also used for very light editing, streaming, web browsing and Unity level editing.
 I plan on using this CPU for as long as I can stretch it for my targets.

6 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

I'd get one of the new Ryzen 3 CPU's for that.  3300 or 3100 both would do great. 

Thank you very much!

Just now, Saksham said:

I would wait for b550 motherboards for future compatibility. 

Thanks, I'm now looking into getting a 3100 or 3300X with a B550 mobo when they come out, I didn't expect people to respond this quickly!

4 hours ago, ShadowTheLight said:

Thanks, I'm now looking into getting a 3100 or 3300X with a B550 mobo when they come out, I didn't expect people to respond this quickly!

Be aware that a 3100 can be brought within a sliver of the performance of the 3300x even with the stock cooler

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

23 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Be aware that a 3100 can be brought within a sliver of the performance of the 3300x even with the stock cooler

Yes, I have heard this, though I do not overclock since I have been told it can shorten the life-span of the product.

2 minutes ago, ShadowTheLight said:

Yes, I have heard this, though I do not overclock since I have been told it can shorten the life-span of the product.

It can, however you can run a stable overclock for years without any issues

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

8 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

It can, however you can run a stable overclock for years without any issues

Thank you for notifying me, I thought it was shaving a very significant portion of the life span but after watching a PC myths video from Jay'sTwoCents a minute ago I see that CPUs physically last long enough that a year off the lifespan won't matter that much.

Should definitely get the 3300X. Makes absolutely no sense to go for the 3100. 

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

7 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Should definitely get the 3300X. Makes absolutely no sense to go for the 3100. 

After finding the prices, which was surprisingly hard, I am definitely thinking similarly. The $20 USD difference makes the 3300X most likely the best option for me.

15 hours ago, ShadowTheLight said:

I was hoping someone here could help me find something that would be best for my set-up to avoid bottleneck, I want to upgrade from my FX-8370 because I have been told that the Piledriver architecture is bad, the FX-8370 is below minimum specifications for the Oculus Rift S, and I am worried that it won't last me as long as a Ryzen CPU. I really want Ryzen over Intel since I am a bit of a AMD fanboy. I am okay with waiting if 4th gen Ryzen would have a better option than the current generations. Here is as much info as I can think of that could help make it easier to answer my question. I'm sorry if the question isn't specific enough or if this has been asked, as far as I can tell this is how it is supposed to be asked and this hasn't been asked specifically.

Plans
 Gaming

Target Resolution
 1920x1080
Target Frame Rate
 60fps
Target Settings
 Lowest

Planned Graphics Card
 1060 6GB
Planned Ram
 16GB 3200MHz

Game Examples
 Garry's Mod
 Minecraft
 Halo MCC
 DOOM Eternal
 Half-Life Alyx
 Warframe

VR Headset
 Oculus Rift S

Budget
 Any price for the least bottleneck.

Other
 Also used for very light editing, streaming, web browsing and Unity level editing.
 I plan on using this CPU for as long as I can stretch it for my targets.

That processor is not below the minimum requirements. The minimum requirements include the ryzen 3 1200, i3 6100 and fx 4350, so that cpu is above the minimum requirements. You may want to upgrade both the cpu and the gpu for th best experience in vr

Also here is a video of that cpu doing vr.  This video may be a bit old.   

On 5/13/2020 at 7:26 AM, HD1 star wars said:

That processor is not below the minimum requirements. The minimum requirements include the ryzen 3 1200, i3 6100 and fx 4350, so that cpu is above the minimum requirements. You may want to upgrade both the cpu and the gpu for th best experience in vr

Oh okay, thanks. I guess maybe I could stretch what I have longer than what I expected!