Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can a GPU be embedded with malware?

Doesntmatter

So I bought a suspect GPU on ebay. I don't care if it is the real card (bought it off idle curiosity on the cheap). I know there was a crypto trojan but other than that had anyone heard of malware being embedded within a GPU?

By the way, I'll be running GPU Z to see what kind of card it really is of possible. 

Theoretically yes. GPUs have firmware that could hold root-kits etc

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Is there a method to check? I know that it's not a standard scan but would malwarebytes, Norton, mcafee etc be sufficient?

I have tried to Google this but didn't make much head way.

Yup anything with a flashable ROM is theoretically open for hacking. I remember back in the old days there was a lot of talk of BIOS viruses. Don't think they ever really took off as there are much easier ways to compromise a system.

Just now, Doesntmatter said:

Is there a method to check? I know that it's not a standard scan but would malwarebytes, Norton, mcafee etc be sufficient?

I have tried to Google this but didn't make much head way.

I doubt there is anything that can check it. You can flash the BIOS yourself with a known good copy. But that still doesn't 100% guarantee anything if you don't trust the hardware to begin with.

Rog. I might plug into an old system and see what I can glean from it. It's coming from a business. Im not overly concerned about malware but I'd rather be safe than sorry.