RX550 with 280W

penguin8967

I have a Dell prebuilt with a non standard 280W PSU (don't ask me why I got it), which has an i5 9500, 16gb ddr4 and a 256gb nvme SSD 

I'm looking to get a cheap GPU in the future to upgrade it with, and both the GT 1030 and RX 550 have been noted as contenders.

Which of these 2 is better and would the RX 550 be able to run on 280W?

I'm a bit weary of putting in something like a 1050ti, since idk if the 280W PSU will be able to handle a 75W card.

The GT 1030 is rated around 30W and the rx550 closer to 50.

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

Intel i5-9500, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 1x 120mm Fan.

Upgrading soon to an ITX GTX 1650 (4GB).

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

Probably the RX 550 would be your best option, could you perhaps upgrade the PSU or is it one of those locked perbuilts or whatever? I think the RX 570 is good too but i think that card is pretty power hungary. What's your power usage now?

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

2 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

Probably the RX 550 would be your best option, could you perhaps upgrade the PSU or is it one of those locked perbuilts or whatever? I think the RX 570 is good too but i think that card is pretty power hungary. What's your power usage now?

I can't tell the power usage at the moment, how can I do this? Is the best way to get one of those plugs that monitors usage?

Also, the PSU is some proprietary, non ATX size and uses a different mobo connector 

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

2 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

I can't tell the power usage at the moment, how can I do this? Is the best way to get one of those plugs that monitors usage?

Also, the PSU is some proprietary, non ATX size and uses a different mobo connector 

I think HW monitor can do this. Ya, so it looks like no new PSU. I mean you could just gut the computer keep the ram and CPU (I mean assuming it uses the same chipset. You would have to check that, I think you can but just double check with a little googling) and storage. Other than the GPU you have some alright parts a new case PSU and GPU wouldnt be a bad idea.

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

1 minute ago, WambleCropped said:

I think HW monitor can do this. Ya, so it looks like no new PSU. I mean you could just gut the computer keep the ram and CPU (I mean assuming it uses the same chipset. You would have to check that, I think you can but just double check with a little googling) and storage. Other than the GPU you have some alright parts a new case PSU and GPU wouldnt be a bad idea.

K, tomorrow I'll try out HWMonitor!

Thanks for your help 👍

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

10 hours ago, penguin8967 said:

K, tomorrow I'll try out HWMonitor!

Thanks for your help 👍

Tried it this morning (it's 9AM here in the UK), and HWMonitor doesn't seem show the overall wattage of the PC.

Thank you for all your help though! I think I might buy one of those wall plugs that measures wattage. Cheers!

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

1 hour ago, penguin8967 said:

Tried it this morning (it's 9AM here in the UK), and HWMonitor doesn't seem show the overall wattage of the PC.

Thank you for all your help though! I think I might buy one of those wall plugs that measures wattage. Cheers!

The 1030 is more or less the same as the 550 (maybe 2-3% faster) and the 280w PSU should be able to handle on of those (the 1030)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The 1030 is more or less the same as the 550 (maybe 2-3% faster) and the 280w PSU should be able to handle on of those (the 1030)

k, which would you recommend getting? They're around the same price, but the GT 1030 uses less power so could be a safer bet.

🐧 penguin8967 🐧

🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

2 minutes ago, penguin8967 said:

k, which would you recommend getting? They're around the same price, but the GT 1030 uses less power so could be a safer bet.

Just go with a passively cooled one by msi 

Should be fine 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: