Gaming Of Shared NAS'S

Is there away to run games off servers running windows storage pools i tried it and a lot of games specifically from ubisoft and battle.net not booting or refusing to boot due to it being on a network drive is there no way to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

could you link me a guide to setting up that i dont know how to set that up on windows 10 pro

I have the share on windows server going towindows 10 pro through active directory

14 hours ago, Studmuffin1134 said:

What about multiple people wanting to access it?

You will need multiple iscsi disks and then have each user have their own virtual disk. You can then run something like dedup on the server to save space.

What type of share do you have now?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You will need multiple iscsi disks and then have each user have their own virtual disk. You can then run something like dedup on the server to save space.

What type of share do you have now?

How well does this work? Is Gigabit Ethernet enough? or will the loading times be longer? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How well does this work? Is Gigabit Ethernet enough? or will the loading times be longer? 

Its ok. Gigabit ethernet is about the same as a mechanical hdd, with a bit better random speeds assuming you have a reasonably fast backing storage.

But id just get a hdd for a gaming pc unless you have a good reason to store the games on a network share.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its ok. Gigabit ethernet is about the same as a mechanical hdd, with a bit better random speeds assuming you have a reasonably fast backing storage.

But id just get a hdd for a gaming pc unless you have a good reason to store the games on a network share.

I have one of those Phanteks Evolve Shift cases. While it supports 2 2.5" drives or 1 3.5" drive it would be very cramped. This could be a decent solution for my Steam Library. Keeping in mind I run Linux so my gaming would be limited any way. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have one of those Phanteks Evolve Shift cases. While it supports 2 2.5" drives or 1 3.5" drive it would be very cramped. This could be a decent solution for my Steam Library. Keeping in mind I run Linux so my gaming would be limited any way. 

Can't you just get a hdd for the library? Getting a 8tb hdd should be plenty for lots of games and pretty cheap

also since your on linux, might as well use nfs or smb, as programs are less picky about thigns like a local disk

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can't you just get a hdd for the library? Getting a 8tb hdd should be plenty for lots of games and pretty cheap

Go look at that case. The space is very limited. Plus I think the hard drive would ruin the look of the inside of my PC. 

The thing is can i use a single network drive and have multiple pc's access it? I want to install games to that share

8 hours ago, Studmuffin1134 said:

The thing is can i use a single network drive and have multiple pc's access it? I want to install games to that share

most games arent happy with that and epect exclusive access to the storage. but you can try it