RTX 3080 with which processor's

When the RTX 3000 series comes out would it still pair with a i9 9900k or will it be better with the 10 gen Intel processors 

If you want value for money then I would say a Ryzen cpu. As for Intel no point buying the 9900K with the 10th gen so close.

The 3080 probably isn't out until around September, so if you are buying a cpu at the same time then wait and see if we get any Ryzen 4000 news.

Either or will work fine I reckon, but I'd wait till the 10th gen reviews come out to see if there is a big enough performance jump to justify going up a CPU generation, depends on the cost too...

1 minute ago, GAMING KNIBBSE said:

When the RTX 3000 series comes out would it still pair with a i9 9900k or will it be better with the 10 gen Intel processors 

It would work just fine. Just make sure the 9900k runs at 5GHz all core. I hear basically all of them can do it with sufficient cooling. Really, I have an ancient 5820K and in its overclocked form works really well with GTX 1080Ti. Maybe not king of the hill card anymore, but it's still one of the fastest on the market right around/below RTX 2080 series. I see no reason why 9900k couldn't keep up with RTX 3080 series when it comes out. And it has enough cores too to keep up with new multicore aware games too. 10th gen really isn't that much of an improvement. Basically only if you compare it stock to stock because of improved Turbo algorithms. When manually overclocked, that becomes irrelevant and in that case even 9900k rivals it without much problems. And since I'm assuming you already have the 9900k, you'll also save the money.

Why limit yourself to Intel? AMD's offering is just as good for much cheaper. It's also better in many other applications when you consider everything else and not just plain gaming.

Then there's the 4000 series that will crush Intel's 14+++++++nm node further.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

None of the above - wait for Zen 3 as it's due before RTX 3000 and likely to offer much better performance than the 10900/9900 models

Upgrading 9900k is throwing money away unless you need raw core count for parallel compute. Seriously. Those few frames that you gain is meaningless when you have to replace like 1000€ worth of platform just to get that. Rather save that money and invest it in yet another graphic card upgrade after RTX 3000 series. Or just save it for next big platform upgrade. This 9900k will easily last you till AMD releases AM5 platform and if all planets align, Intel might have a proper new CPU as well at that time. Then upgrade the platform if you feel the need. Till then, just try pushing extra MHz out of this 9900k and you're set.

49 minutes ago, GAMING KNIBBSE said:

I have 2 RTX 2080 tis.

One is a EVGA XC and the other is a FTW3 Ultra.

With the higher clocks that the FTW 3 Ultra does bottlenecks become an issue but not with the XC.  So to test the cards performance against each other I have to use Extreme versions of FireStrike or TimeSpy.  

I think the performance cliff is around 2040mhz and that is about where bottlenecks at 1440p occur. 

I play at 4k and 3840 X 1600 so I am not affected but as this type of performance becomes mainstream it may become an issue.

I also know that my 5gz CPUs were pointless with GTX 1080 tis but almost a necessity with the RTX 2080 ti for top performance.  

The 10th gen is basically the same architecture as the 9th but with more cores and those cores don't matter for gaming.

In the tests that I have done overclocks over 5gz do not produce significant gain in games.  There may be gains but they are higher than 5.2ghz.  Maybe 5.3mhz can make a difference.

I will probably go with a 10th gen but I think that there will be more than a 50% chance that i will be disappointed. 

The upgrade will be mainly for my modded games that use 1 or 2 cores. 

44 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It would work just fine. Just make sure the 9900k runs at 5GHz all core. I hear basically all of them can do it with sufficient cooling. Really, I have an ancient 5820K and in its overclocked form works really well with GTX 1080Ti. Maybe not king of the hill card anymore, but it's still one of the fastest on the market right around/below RTX 2080 series. I see no reason why 9900k couldn't keep up with RTX 3080 series when it comes out. And it has enough cores too to keep up with new multicore aware games too. 10th gen really isn't that much of an improvement. Basically only if you compare it stock to stock because of improved Turbo algorithms. When manually overclocked, that becomes irrelevant and in that case even 9900k rivals it without much problems. And since I'm assuming you already have the 9900k, you'll also save the money.

I had to remove my all core 5ghz overclocks from all my CPUs including the i9 9900k. Since the last major Windows update the games that use the Havok physics engine have gotten crashes or freezes. I am hoping that this is temporary but I have had to remove overclocks before for similar reasons but not since 2016.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV