RADEON HD 4850 question

KablahGaming

Have this card sitting around and got to looking at it and noticed there are two DVI 24 +5 ports. Looking on amazon a lot of these split into two vga connectors. Did this card really run four monitors off two ports? I thought it would mirror if you split it like that. 🤔

"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

picure? 

DMS59 was pretty common back then and let you run 2 montiors off one port with different images, but most cards from that era were limited to 2 monitors max.

Half the time those 4850s would only display on one of the two ports. I can't imagine splitting to run four monitors.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

picure? 

DMS59 was pretty common back then and let you run 2 montiors off one port with different images, but most cards from that era were limited to 2 monitors max.

I'm pretty sure the HD 4850 just has regular old DVI ports. 🤔 Don't think that connector is a thing on most gaming cards even back then. Seems like DSM59 is exclusive to office machines?

Amazon.com: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB DDR3 PCI Express (PCI-E) Dual ...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

picure? 

IMG_20200506_195825.jpg

IMG_20200506_195804.jpg

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Half the time those 4850s would only display on one of the two ports. I can't imagine splitting to run four monitors.

So you think maybe you can switch between the two ports?

11 minutes ago, KablahGaming said:

So you think maybe you can switch between the two ports?

Elaborate please? 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Elaborate please? 

Sure, you said that it would only display on one of the two ports. So is it something you can switch between? have two monitors hooked up but only one active at a time but able to switch to another one whenever you want? Why would only one be active and the other not? I guess I'm probably confused by your earlier post. 😆

4 minutes ago, KablahGaming said:

Sure, you said that it would only display on one of the two ports. So is it something you can switch between? have two monitors hooked up but only one active at a time but able to switch to another one whenever you want? Why would only one be active and the other not? I guess I'm probably confused by your earlier post. 😆

Oh! sry for that.

I mean the card just didn't work on one of the ports, 2 monitors or switched between them.

Had myself a Sapphire 4850x2 backed by 2x single slot 4850s QuadFire. The single slot cards just only ever seemed to work on one of the two ports regardless. The X2 would actually run 4 monitors. I did just that. (not any more, quite a while ago now.....)

But these cards for today's use? eh... I'd have to decline the thought. Only good for competitive benching anymore imo.

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

But these cards for today's use?

Yeah not really worth it. I was thinking of throwing it in my desktop and run some monitors off it for fun and to say I did it.

34 minutes ago, KablahGaming said:

Yeah not really worth it. I was thinking of throwing it in my desktop and run some monitors off it for fun and to say I did it.

It "should" do two monitors. 

Go for it. slap it in! only live once.