Need help with a powersupply and motherboard issue.

Redoga

try to build a pc for my brother and the old PSU he had didn't have a a 8pin cpu plug if that what it's called just a 4pin and i try to turn on the pc but will not boot the rgb ram didn't turn on, the cpu fan was spining and light was in the motherboard.  and i was wondering if i need a better power supply or was it my motherboard. the motherboard is a Asus b-360g

i used this pc for 2+years had no issue only thing i change was GPU From 1070ti to 1050ti, but i did notice it would not boot today aswell after i take out the 1070ti and replace it with 1050ti, when i  forgot to format my SSD for windows and had to cancel that.

sorry for the bad wording.

SPECS ARE-

i5-8400

Asus b-360g

Teamgroup 2666 ddr4 ram

1050ti

If the motherboard requires a single 8pin you need to have an 8pin plugged in (not a 4pin), same thing if it has an 8pin and 4pin, you have to have the 8pin plugged in as that's the main CPU power. You need a PSU that has the right connectors. Having a 4pin connector with an 8pin header on the board does you no good.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I suppose it’s possible the single 4 pin cpu connector could be the issue.  The 8pin cpu connector is really 2x4 pins.  So putting the 4 pin in on 1 side or the other may work.  It’s not impossible that the traces are set up to actually require 8 pin.   It’s also possible that the cpu needs more power than the PSU can provide.  If it’s not, They used to make 4 pin splitters.  I don’t know if they still do.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

If the motherboard requires a single 8pin you need to have an 8pin plugged in (not a 4pin), same thing if it has an 8pin and 4pin, you have to have the 8pin plugged in as that's the main CPU power. You need a PSU that has the right connectors. Having a 4pin connector with an 8pin header on the board does you no good.

ok any PSU you can recommend for a 1050ti and in the future a 1070ti

10 minutes ago, Redoga said:

ok any PSU you can recommend for a 1050ti and in the future a 1070ti

budget and country?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

budget and country?

UK

min 50£

I'd say something like the Coolermaster MWE Bronze V2 450w, or a Corsair CX450 bronze. They should be around 50£.