Wtf is going on with my system???

vong

I had the pc on for about an hour downloading a game, left it and came back later. Started watching YouTube then this kind of thing happened about 5mins into it then it's been constantly f*cking with my system. It keeps crashing and rebooting.

I thought it was the gpu driver so I ddu'd it and tried to install the newest but it keeps crashing but I managed to do it in safe mode which seems to work fine. Checked the drives and they look good in crystaldisk. When I first tried to install a new driver it said there was a connection issue. I tried doing a windows update at the same time and it said the same thing. Possible it's got something to do with internet drivers since it works fine in safe mode without internet???

20200506_143354.jpg

20200506_141731.jpg

20200506_141717.jpg

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

You show your main PC as having dual 980Ti's in SLI.

Try each card one at time, maybe one of the cards is having issues.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

1 minute ago, NZKshatriya said:

You show your main PC as having dual 980Ti's in SLI.

Try each card one at time, maybe one of the cards is having issues.

Whoops, time to update. Just a single 1080ti for the last few years. I played borderlands 3 the other day just fine.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I mean, that's clearly a display issue.

Check to make sure the card is seated properly, and that power connections are tight.

Move the card to a different slot, see if that has any bearing.

If you have an older GPU laying around, try using that to see if it's the 1080, or possibly slots on the board.

(I have a low profile R5 220 that I grabbed for just this type of thing)

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

that looks like a dead card. but try troubleshooting steps like:

- use a different pci-e slot

- use a different port

- use a different display cable

- use a different display, maybe the port on the display is broken

She/Her

13 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

I mean, that's clearly a display issue.

Check to make sure the card is seated properly, and that power connections are tight.

Move the card to a different slot, see if that has any bearing.

If you have an older GPU laying around, try using that to see if it's the 1080, or possibly slots on the board.

(I have a low profile R5 220 that I grabbed for just this type of thing)

10 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Looks like typical GPU failed. But who knows - maybe it's just port as @NZKshatriya say.

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

that looks like a dead card. but try troubleshooting steps like:

- use a different pci-e slot

- use a different port

- use a different display cable

- use a different display, maybe the port on the display is broken

I just moved it to another slot and it seems to work fine. Running Furmark3D right now and no issues. So bad PCI-E slot???

Edit: okay, maybe not totally fine. It started artifacting again but it went away and I can still use windows.

So, could be the PCI-E connection on the card side, or there may be issues with the board  Hard to tell without testing another known working card..

For sure you should try to underclock your GPU if you want to keep your GPU alive. Use MSI Afterburner and slide both "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" max to the left, then click "Apply". And use it for a while like that.

8 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

So, could be the PCI-E connection on the card side, or there may be issues with the board  Hard to tell without testing another known working card..

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

For sure you should try to underclock your GPU if you want to keep your GPU alive. Use MSI Afterburner and slide both "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" max to the left, then click "Apply". And use it for a while like that.

Looks like it could be the GPU then. I just ran Furmark3D again for 30mins, no crash but once I stopped the testing and opened firefox it froze then the system restarted. Gotta get this sucker back to the place I bought it from cause it's 3 year warranty ends next week. Hope they can replicate this problem otherwise that's $100 out of my pocket for shipping and diagnostic fees.

You can't be charged for diagnosis when you're still under warranty. Do you made that test after underclock?

this can be monitor defect, or GPU, but check for any loose cables, or try other cables/ports

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You can't be charged for diagnosis when you're still under warranty. Do you made that test after underclock?

They can charge if they don't find anything wrong with it. No, didn't undervolt it. If it's not stable at stocks configs then it's defective.

I'm not talking about voltage. And it's not about workaround. It's about finding if this is a problem so you can be sure what is wrong.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I'm not talking about voltage. And it's not about workaround. It's about finding if this is a problem so you can be sure what is wrong.

Ah misread. Not sure what underclocking will do if the card works fine under full load. It just seems to cause windows to act up randomly.

4 minutes ago, vong said:

Ah misread. Not sure what underclocking will do if the card works fine under full load. It just seems to cause windows to act up randomly.

Underclock may show you for sure if problem is with your GPU. If everything will work without any problem after underclock - it's GPU. Otherwise - who knows (it may be GPU, but not for 100%).

4 hours ago, Chabax said:

this can be monitor defect, or GPU, but check for any loose cables, or try other cables/ports

a defective monitor would not cause the system to freeze

Threw in my 1660 ti from a htpc and no issues. So defo seems to be the 1080 ti. Sending it back, hope they can replicate the issue and hopefully I can get a free upgrade to an rtx equivalent.