Case fans not spinning

70marom

Hey, I bought a new MB 3 months ago. I’m using the same case with the same fans. Only yesterday I realized that the fans are not spinning.
I have 2 fans with 3 pin connector. On my motherboard I have only 4 pin connectors so 1 fan is connected to 4 pin, and one with molex.
In my gigabyte bios I can see in 5 smart fan (something in bios) my cpu fan and he is RPM and sys fan 1 and sys fan 2 with RPM 0.

11 minutes ago, 70marom said:

Hey, I bought a new MB 3 months ago. I’m using the same case with the same fans. Only yesterday I realized that the fans are not spinning.
I have 2 fans with 3 pin connector. On my motherboard I have only 4 pin connectors so 1 fan is connected to 4 pin, and one with molex.
In my gigabyte bios I can see in 5 smart fan (something in bios) my cpu fan and he is RPM and sys fan 1 and sys fan 2 with RPM 0.

you can plug 3 pin fans into 4 pin headers btw 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

When I had 3 pin fans I had to control them in the bios via DC voltages.   Do you have fan curves setup for them all?

17 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

So what is the problem?

8 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

When I had 3 pin fans I had to control them in the bios via DC voltages.   Do you have fan curves setup for them all?

I switched the voltage and nothing happend 

1 minute ago, 70marom said:

I switched the voltage and nothing happend 

So just to be clear.   You have one fan connected to a 4-pin header on the motherboard (the fan is 3-pin) and it does not spin.  Right?  I am not worrying about the one connected via molex.

4 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

So just to be clear.   You have one fan connected to a 4-pin header on the motherboard (the fan is 3-pin) and it does not spin.  Right?  I am not worrying about the one connected via molex.

Right.

What SYS_FAN header do you have it plugged into?  

Did you also make sure to plug the 3-pin into the correct spot on the 4-pin connector?

2 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

What SYS_FAN header do you have it plugged into?  

Did you also make sure to plug the 3-pin into the correct spot on the 4-pin connector?

SYS_FAN1

and yeah I’m pretty sure it’s connected correctly 

I tried 2 times to connect it right but nothing happened 

4 minutes ago, 70marom said:

SYS_FAN1

and yeah I’m pretty sure it’s connected correctly 

I tried 2 times to connect it right but nothing happened 

The best option i can give you is to do a full bios reset.  Check the manual to see how to do that.  There are options on some motherboards to just press a button, others require a jumper and others to just pull the battery.

It would be a wierd solution but have you also validated you are on the latest bios?

2 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

The best option i can give you is to do a full bios reset.  Check the manual to see how to do that.  There are options on some motherboards to just press a button, others require a jumper and others to just pull the battery.

It would be a wierd solution but have you also validated you are on the latest bios?

Oh, btw, I don’t know why, my bios resets every time I’m turning on my computer

so... I don’t think that that’s the solution 

and I have the latest bios

Unplug both fans just to see if the bios goes back to stable (i.e.  it shouldn't be resetting).

If that doesn't do anything then contact support for your motherboard. 

12 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Unplug both fans just to see if the bios goes back to stable (i.e.  it shouldn't be resetting).

If that doesn't do anything then contact support for your motherboard. 

And if it’s goes back to stable?

I can think of only 3 possibilities:

1.  Motherboard Fan headers are bad - call support

2.  Fans are not supported by the motherboard for some wierd reason.   Maybe check to make sure the power draw is within the limits of what can be provided

3.  The connections are bad, not plugged in all the way or not correctly on the 3 pins out of the 4.

Sorry that I am not being much help.

11 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

I can think of only 3 possibilities:

1.  Motherboard Fan headers are bad - call support

2.  Fans are not supported by the motherboard for some wierd reason.   Maybe check to make sure the power draw is within the limits of what can be provided

3.  The connections are bad, not plugged in all the way or not correctly on the 3 pins out of the 4.

Sorry that I am not being much help.

WTF

I just opened my pc, turned off the PSU and I disconnected to AC cable

the molex fan is spinning 

somehow

I think he always was spinning and I didn’t realized it

so only the 3pin fan is not working

image.jpg

And is it ok that the molex fan is so down, next to the hdd?

because I want an airflow, cpu is 95C...

13 hours ago, Ben17 said:

Can you help me please and see 2 posts above?

1 hour ago, 70marom said:

And is it ok that the molex fan is so down, next to the hdd?

because I want an airflow, cpu is 95C...

Ok, several things here. First please list your specs. Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, case, fans. Model names needed. Take one pic so we can see whole case layout.

Molex fan is connected directly to PSU. It won't show up on mobo, and it will probably spin all the time. 3pin fan can be connected to 4pin header. If it doesn't work, try with another header. It can be usually controlled, though you need to set motherboard to use DC control instead of PWM.

What are you doing if CPU is 95C? Thats rather high temp, even if running stress test. So it can be very bad OC, badly mounted CPU cooler or CPU fan not working under heavy load.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ok, several things here. First please list your specs. Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, case, fans. Model names needed. Take one pic so we can see whole case layout.

Molex fan is connected directly to PSU. It won't show up on mobo, and it will probably spin all the time. 3pin fan can be connected to 4pin header. If it doesn't work, try with another header. It can be usually controlled, though you need to set motherboard to use DC control instead of PWM.

What are you doing if CPU is 95C? Thats rather high temp, even if running stress test. So it can be very bad OC, badly mounted CPU cooler or CPU fan not working under heavy load.

I think I’ll buy a new case with 4 fans

I tried a different 4pin header and nothing.

I tried to switch to voltage (DC)

about my cpu:

The man who built me the cpu put liquid metal so I don’t want to take out the cooler

I want to buy thermal paste but I don’t know how to clean liquid metal, I hope the problem is just that I don’t have case fans (that are working)

specs:

Cpu: ryzen 7 3700x

mobo: Aorus B450 m

gpu: rtx 2070 super

case: Zalman z1 with his fans

the case that I wanna buy: Antec NX600

2 minutes ago, 70marom said:

I think I’ll buy a new case with 4 fans

I tried a different 4pin header and nothing.

I tried to switch to voltage (DC)

about my cpu:

The man who built me the cpu put liquid metal so I don’t want to take out the cooler

I want to buy thermal paste but I don’t know how to clean liquid metal, I hope the problem is just that I don’t have case fans (that are working)

specs:

Cpu: ryzen 7 3700x

mobo: Aorus B450 m

gpu: rtx 2070 super

Stock cooler? Thats part of the issue. Disable PBO from BIOS and see if that helps. I don't use liquid metal, and I don't think it should be used on system unless you know what you are doing. It degrades faster than normal paste.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Stock cooler? Thats part of the issue. Disable PBO from BIOS and see if that helps. I don't use liquid metal, and I don't think it should be used on system unless you know what you are doing. It degrades faster than normal paste.

Yeah stock cooler, Wraith Prism

this cooler should be good

and PBO is by normal turned on? Because my bios resets itself so i think that it’s in factory settings 

8 minutes ago, 70marom said:

Yeah stock cooler, Wraith Prism

this cooler should be good

and PBO is by normal turned on? Because my bios resets itself so i think that it’s in factory settings 

Yes, PBO is on by default. As for resetting settings, thats most likely CMOS battery issue. Replace that battery and it should be fixed. If its not, then you have faulty motherboard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

25 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yes, PBO is on by default. As for resetting settings, thats most likely CMOS battery issue. Replace that battery and it should be fixed. If its not, then you have faulty motherboard.

I can’t  find PBO in my Gigabyte bios..

13 minutes ago, 70marom said:

I can’t  find PBO in my Gigabyte bios..

Its called Core Performance Boost (manual page 24). Its AMDs technology which will boost CPU clocks and voltages if your cooling allows it. Mainly I've seen it raise temps to 80C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

You can always buy better fans for any case really.  I bought the following:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07HC782D5

They are PWM controlled and come with cables to chain them together so you can control many off one header.   You should be able to add them to the Z1 case to greatly improve airflow.