Monitor types?

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
Just now, cutelittlebabyboss said:

I wish to know what is sRGB, what 125% srgb etc etc

The color range of the monitor. Higher range = can show more colors.

SRGB range is not that large (as compared to the full RGB range), which is why more than100% is possible to have.

sRGB (Standard Red Green Blue) Definition

1 minute ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

what 8 bit 10 bit is.

The amount of colors a panel can show.

Do check if it is 'true 10 bit' or just 8 Bit and FRC, which is often called 10 bit too.

2 minutes ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

Hi guys,so i'm planning to get a monitor however I'm not sure which to get and I have quite some questions about monitors. The monitor I'm planning to get must have these features:

IPS Panel

1ms

144hz or more

2K Resolution (2560x1440)

What is this monitor used for?

The SRGB/8bit/10bit specs are important for photo editing, but not as much for gaming. Plus at 144Hz 1ms the IPS panel usually goes in a special mode that reduces the response time, but has worse colors.

Hi guys,so i'm planning to get a monitor however I'm not sure which to get and I have quite some questions about monitors. The monitor I'm planning to get must have these features:

IPS Panel

1ms

144hz or more

I wish to know what is sRGB, what 125% srgb etc etc, and what 8 bit 10 bit is. and can i have some good suggestions of monitors with this features that is really good and what you recommend. Thank you!

Just now, cutelittlebabyboss said:

I wish to know what is sRGB, what 125% srgb etc etc

The color range of the monitor. Higher range = can show more colors.

SRGB range is not that large (as compared to the full RGB range), which is why more than100% is possible to have.

sRGB (Standard Red Green Blue) Definition

1 minute ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

what 8 bit 10 bit is.

The amount of colors a panel can show.

Do check if it is 'true 10 bit' or just 8 Bit and FRC, which is often called 10 bit too.

2 minutes ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

IPS Panel

1ms

144hz or more

The SRGB/8bit/10bit specs are important for photo editing, but not as much for gaming. Plus at 144Hz 1ms the IPS panel usually goes in a special mode that reduces the response time, but has worse colors.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Do check if it is 'true 10 bit'

What do you mean by true 10 bit? and how do i verify if it is true 10 bit?

1 minute ago, minibois said:

gaming, editing, photoshop etc etc and i'm going to have another cheap monitor as my 2nd monitor.

1 hour ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

What do you mean by true 10 bit? and how do i verify if it is true 10 bit?

Usually they say just 10 bit if it's actually 10 bit and: "10 bit (8 bit + FRC)" if not.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Usually they say just 10 bit if it's actually 10 bit and: "10 bit (8 bit + FRC)" if not.

can you specify? I cannot understand your english, sorry.

31 minutes ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

can you specify? I cannot understand your english, sorry.

Sorry for the weird phrasing.

Example of 8 bit + FRC:

image.png.a65807e9c3956fc2e9696ac141417cfa.png

This is basically like simulated 10 bit color reproduction by using the the refresh rate to switch between two colors. Basically simulating the color inbetween the two flashing ones.

See this for more info on FRC:

But that won't be very important to most people, since having a decent color range and calibration goes a long way too.

A good proper review will show the color range too.