Choice of High refresh vs higher resolution for a open world gamer

TomR19
Go to solution Solved by TomR19,
1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Without a tested review of that specific model , ur guess is as good as mine.

Reviews on NEWEGG and AMAZON were good overall. 

At least this monitor was covered by a youtuber

Hey guys 

I currently have an ASUS 144hz 1080p gaming monitor and considering upgrade to larger screen but Im not sure if I should aim at a higher resolution 1440p/4k screen over a high refresh rate 144hz one?  1 with both costs too much. 

I dont play cs go nor fortnite. I play games like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Devil May cry 5 and Sekiro.

Will It make more sense running games like those in Higher framerate where available or locked 60/75 (freesync) with higher res and max/ultra settings? 

Is 144fps mostly for shooters or Running benchmarks?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz Corsair | GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC | PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital Black | Cooler: Wraith Prism RGB | SSD: CORSAIR MP510 500GB + CRUCIAL P1 1TB | HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Monitor: MSI Optix AG32CQ CURVED 1440P 144HZ

Open world games like Skyrim etc are visual and story based, combat is a part of it but difficulty can be set to account for that. It’s not like playing against other people with real skills.

I would recommend higher resolution and visual quality.

CSGO and alike where the background is only something you see when you die go high refresh all day long.

If you can get both, 1440p and high refresh rate then why not. 

There are compromises if you go down the best of both route. I will be as I play Esports and Skyrim. 

If you are all about the visual stuff then get  something with great colour, high res etc but high refresh is a nice to have.

Skyrim for example is capped at 60FPS max and going over that with a mod messes stuff up bad.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I would honest go for 4K monitor it make the games look so much better. Would make you more immerse in the game world. Which for me is essential for single player games.

I'm in the UK. This LG 4K 27inch monitor sports an IPS screen with HDR 10 (entry level HDR), 60HZ at only £269. 

I know the currency has different value but with VAT here it works out same. It probably goes for about $269 in North America. 

Thoughts?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/lg-27ul500-w-4k-ultra-hd-27-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-white-10204176-pdt.html

At  different store I found a slightly newer model at a whopping £329. 

I dont see an extra feature that justifies extra £60

https://www.ebuyer.com/883253-lg-27ul550-27-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-with-hdr-27ul550-b

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz Corsair | GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC | PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital Black | Cooler: Wraith Prism RGB | SSD: CORSAIR MP510 500GB + CRUCIAL P1 1TB | HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Monitor: MSI Optix AG32CQ CURVED 1440P 144HZ

2 hours ago, TomR19 said:

I'm in the UK. This LG 4K 27inch monitor sports an IPS screen with HDR 10 (entry level HDR), 60HZ at only £269. 

I know the currency has different value but with VAT here it works out same. It probably goes for about $269 in North America. 

Thoughts?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/lg-27ul500-w-4k-ultra-hd-27-ips-lcd-gaming-monitor-white-10204176-pdt.html

At  different store I found a slightly newer model at a whopping £329. 

I dont see an extra feature that justifies extra £60

https://www.ebuyer.com/883253-lg-27ul550-27-ultra-hd-4k-monitor-with-hdr-27ul550-b

Take a gander at the following.

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/mQInJLi7qiX8GQ

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/ABkArd5QEMduIA

The above 2 are custom ratings list.

This one below can be used to sort by test results/specs.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/28634

Below the £/$400 mark reviews get a bit sparse but none the less the above site has the best search and sort function for all their reviews. This will give u an idea of what to look for.

Understand that advertised specs tell u only the very basic information about the display, the important information can only be found from reviewers, manufacturers for the most part dont like giving out the detailed information as it more frequently makes their displays look bad rather than good.

in regards to ur original question.

For the types of games ur playing, with the exception of games like Devil May Cry which would benefit from higher fps, i would say a higher resolution would be better than high refresh.

If u are going to consider £330 as a price point, then the LG 32GK650F-B is a decent choice being thats its a 1440p 144hz VA panel.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Also, at that price point, don't care about HDR at all because on those you are better off leaving the HDR off because it sucks.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

22 hours ago, Mihle said:

Also, at that price point, don't care about HDR at all because on those you are better off leaving the HDR off because it sucks.

This monitor is on the way to me scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So leave the HDR off but is it gonna have really bad motion blur at 60Hz? Im a bit worried...Maybe I should go with 1440p 144hz...

But I also went wit this one because it's IPS screen... That's a good thing right?

On 5/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, SolarNova said:

Take a gander at the following.

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/mQInJLi7qiX8GQ

https://www.rtings.com/user/ratings/ABkArd5QEMduIA

The above 2 are custom ratings list.

This one below can be used to sort by test results/specs.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/28634

Below the £/$400 mark reviews get a bit sparse but none the less the above site has the best search and sort function for all their reviews. This will give u an idea of what to look for.

Understand that advertised specs tell u only the very basic information about the display, the important information can only be found from reviewers, manufacturers for the most part dont like giving out the detailed information as it more frequently makes their displays look bad rather than good.

in regards to ur original question.

For the types of games ur playing, with the exception of games like Devil May Cry which would benefit from higher fps, i would say a higher resolution would be better than high refresh.

If u are going to consider £330 as a price point, then the LG 32GK650F-B is a decent choice being thats its a 1440p 144hz VA panel.

I think I will go for this. This is on offer in a retailer near me. I could not find the LG one

On 5/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, TomR19 said:

I think I will go for this. This is on offer in a retailer near me. I could not find the LG one

I ended up taking your advice and  I have already arranged a return for the LG model. 

However I ended up going with a different brand 32inch screen that supports Freesync that I found way under priced on Special offer the MSI optics AG32CQ 32" 1440p Monitor at £340.

Usually I understand its over 400. Features a 32inch curved screen, 1440p 144hz with 1ms response time. 

Oh and it supports Freesync as I have 5700 XT that's handy...

Thoughts?

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-AG32CQ

2 hours ago, TomR19 said:

I ended up taking your advice and  I have already arranged a return for the LG model. 

However I ended up going with a different brand 32inch screen that supports Freesync that I found way under priced on Special offer the MSI optics AG32CQ 32" 1440p Monitor at £340.

Usually I understand its over 400. Features a 32inch curved screen, 1440p 144hz with 1ms response time. 

Oh and it supports Freesync as I have 5700 XT that's handy...

Thoughts?

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-AG32CQ

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

42 minutes ago, TomR19 said:

Aye , plenty of those 'overviews' available, but im talking 'reviews' ..tested reviews. With objective testing and results.

This guys subjective opinion and overview of the spec sheet is all well and good but its not helpful. its as helpfull as a random reddit guy saying he has one and its 'great' ..the color is great ..the blacks are great . 

Well thats 'great' ..but without tests results its all subjective.

That said, if u do get it I hope it works out. While the color specs are impressive, the out of the box accuracy is up in the air (could be good, likely wont be as with most monitors) and it being a VA panel means its likely going to have a hard time with dark transition pixel response,., how much ? no idea ..need a review to find out.

Good luck :)