Yet another "What to upgrade?" thread

I'm looking to upgrade some part of my setup sometime soon and I'm stuck between peripherals and actual parts. My current load-out is an i5-4570 with 8 GB of RAM in an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 (an SFF case, so not large GPUs) with a 120 GB DRAM-less ADATA SSD and a 1 TB Seagate HDD for storage, Oh, and for graphics I have a GT 1030. On top of the desk I've got an old 1080p HP monitor and 1280x1024 Dell Clunker I use as an auxiliary display. My mouse and keyboard are basic affairs from HP and Dell respectively. My first impulse for an upgrade would be to get a cheap (maybe second hand) 4K TV and use software to split it up into smaller virtual displays; the problem is, I don't know if my GPU could handle 4K, or even half of that. I don't play any demanding games, really all I play is Minecraft, but if you load it up with ~40 mods, it can get to be tough slogging for a wimpy 30 watt card. So if I upgraded to a 4K TV I might need to get a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti, this might not bode well for my 240W PSU or my low-profile only case (although I'm willing to Jerry-rig). Oh, and the PSU is non-standard, so no upgrading. I know that there will probably be a bunch pf people telling me to upgrade my RAM, which thankfully I could do thanks to the two empty slots, but I haven't encountered any issues with having "only" 8 GB, so I think I'm good for now. I would really like to upgrade the mouse and keyboard to something a bit more flashy, but since the existing ones work just fine, it's hard to justify when other upgrades could give me more tangible benefits.

Currently my budget is around $300 CAD, but it may grow somewhat in the future.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

You could go all out with a low profile 1650 if you wanted to, the PSU isn't really much of a barrier because you're close to 60 watts with the CPU and 75 with the GPU. The wise money would go towards a cheap system upgrade though, $600 Canadian can make a really nice system that's not constrained to a proprietary motherboard/PSU/case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You could go all out with a low profile 1650 if you wanted to, the PSU isn't really much of a barrier because you're close to 60 watts with the CPU and 75 with the GPU. The wise money would go towards a cheap system upgrade though, $600 Canadian can make a really nice system that's not constrained to a proprietary motherboard/PSU/case.

I think you may have misread $300 as $600 since I have no idea where you got that "$600 Canadian" from. Additionally, a GTX 1650 is not good if it leaves only ~$50 for a 4K TV. The system runs just fine right now with the GT 1030, I would only need the 1050 or 1650 if I upgraded the display.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Like what Fasauceome said, I suggest the following: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/4CsmP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1650-4-gb-dual-oc-video-card-dual-gtx1650-o4g at it has the best boost clock out of the box for just 211.99 CAD .

Linus in a video did say a high end intel 3/4th gen is still enough to run most popular games.

Perhaps sell your GT 1030 and 120 ADATA for a Kingston A400 SSD which does come with RAM.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Like what Fasauceome said, I suggest the following: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/4CsmP6/asus-geforce-gtx-1650-4-gb-dual-oc-video-card-dual-gtx1650-o4g at it has the best boost clock out of the box for just 211.99 CAD .

Linus in a video did say a high end intel 3/4th gen is still enough to run most popular games.

Perhaps sell your GT 1030 and 120 ADATA for a Kingston A400 SSD which does come with RAM.

Okay, so say I sell the SSD and the 1030, the SSD might fetch $20 if I'm lucky and the card would go for around $70 (would be my best guess). So now that leaves me with a total of $390. A Kingston A400 of the same capacity is $40. And with a $212 GPU I'm left with less than $140 to buy a 4K TV... Yeah, not looking good.

2 hours ago, Computernaut said:

Okay, so say I sell the SSD and the 1030, the SSD might fetch $20 if I'm lucky and the card would go for around $70 (would be my best guess). So now that leaves me with a total of $390. A Kingston A400 of the same capacity is $40. And with a $212 GPU I'm left with less than $140 to buy a 4K TV... Yeah, not looking good.

No but it's enough to run modded minecraft on 1080@60fps stable.

You would need a beefier GPU to run 4k games.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I think you may have misread $300 as $600 since I have no idea where you got that "$600 Canadian" from. Additionally, a GTX 1650 is not good if it leaves only ~$50 for a 4K TV. The system runs just fine right now with the GT 1030, I would only need the 1050 or 1650 if I upgraded the display.

I don't meant your current budget should be used for a new PC, I think you should double your budget and put it towards a new system that can be expanded in the future quite easily. Taking some time to build up would provide a lot of value for you over time, especially since your aspirations are 4K.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

No but it's enough to run modded minecraft on 1080@60fps stable.

You would need a beefier GPU to run 4k games.

Except that my current setup is already capable of running whatever I can currently throw at it Minecraft-wise. I really only need a new GPU if I go for 4K.

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't meant your current budget should be used for a new PC, I think you should double your budget and put it towards a new system that can be expanded in the future quite easily. Taking some time to build up would provide a lot of value for you over time, especially since your aspirations are 4K.

That would indeed be ideal, however as a high school student with no job (and the job market the way it is and will likely remain for a while), doubling my budget just isn't really feasible at this juncture. I might be able to sell my existing computer as well as the GPU, but I don't think that would net me $300. You bring up a good point though, and maybe I should just bide my time for a while longer until I can build my own system, especially since that is what I really want. The catch is that a new system wouldn't really do me much good with my monitor as that is what has become the bottleneck. This means I would also have to factor in the cost of a new display, preferably of a higher or refresh rate, into my budget.