What custom ROM do you use?

Hello Hello! Hopefully this is an okay thread.... If not, sorry!

Reaching out to the community to see what custom ROM you guys use. Thinking of rooting my phone and I have not rooted or flashed a new ROM in maybe 3-4 years now just curious maybe what is out there.

Phone: Razer Phone 2 (LOVE IT!!)

Android Version: 9

Maybe add in other information as wanted.

-Recovery?

-APPS used while phone is rooted?

-Anything you can think of.

Thanks!

"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Isn't CyanogenMod a good ROM? I've never used it but some years ago I was into reading about ROMs and that one always popped up.

A good ROM is the one you can find for your phone that's actually stable and has everything working. It really depends on the phone.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

I don't use them because of the really bad security implications. You're just trusting some random guy that made a ROM not to embed a rootkit and wreak havoc on your identity/finances.

Then there's also the issue of banking apps and the like blocking use on phones with unlocked bootloaders.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Juanmacaam said:

Isn't CyanogenMod a good ROM? I've never used it but some years ago I was into reading about ROMs and that one always popped up.

I used it back in the day on my Galaxy S2. It was great. IMO it should have been installed on all devices by default. :P 

Think it's dead now though.. All good things must come to an end?

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I used it back in the day on my Galaxy S2. It was great. IMO it should have been installed on all devices by default. :P 

Think it's dead now though.. All good things must come to an end?

Haha, yeah good things don't last forever, but I've found that now it's called Lineage OS. May be worth checking it out!

Just now, Juanmacaam said:

Haha, yeah good things don't last forever, but I've found that now it's called Lineage OS. May be it's worth checking it out!

Cool, for my part though.. I'm not using a Samsung device these days and those were the easy phones to flash since their official update tool was leaked.

27 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I don't use them because of the really bad security implications. You're just trusting some random guy that made a ROM not to embed a rootkit and wreak havoc on your identity/finances.

Your point is equally as valid for ROMs from the manufacturers though. What proof does the consumer have that ROMs from the factory aren't malicious? The reality is that unless you inspect every line of code (including microcode and assembly boot code burned into the hardware of your devices), you cannot guarantee the product is operating securely.

27 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Then there's also the issue of banking apps and the like blocking use on phones with unlocked bootloaders.

While true for some apps, most can have root hidden from them using a Magisk Module.

As for me, I don't currently use a custom ROM on my OnePlus 5T because Oxygen OS has been pretty good so far. However, my bootloader is unlocked to allow for root & custom ROM installations whenever I decide to go down that path.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

29 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't use custom ROMs anymore. I need my finance apps for life stuff.

My current phone has stock android with OS updates guaranteed for 2 years + security patches for 3, so I don't really feel the need to go custom. It was defo almost a requirement in the Android 4.0 (make that 6.0) and earlier days though.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Depends on the phone.

I didn't even bother putting a custom ROM on my Pixel 2 since I personally absolutely fucking love Google's own Android skin. It's just...perfect.

I had Pixel Experience on my Mi A1, and currently my Oneplus 5 is still on stock although that might change in the future.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

42 minutes ago, Juanmacaam said:

I used it a little. My favorite by far was DarthStalker on my note 3 which my dad still uses to this day. Ran smooth this whole time. Starting to show it's age now though.

40 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

All good things must come to an end?

I thought they were still going strong with that ROM. Further research looks like lineageOS took a lot of what they did into their own.

Completely not the direction I thought this thread would go :) lol

My favorite was Paranoid Android. Used it for a couple of years on my galaxy s4. And that was back when samsung threw every little feature on their phones so it made a big difference. I'm just running Nova launcher these days.

1 hour ago, TheEpicDuck said:

My favorite was Paranoid Android. Used it for a couple of years on my galaxy s4. And that was back when samsung threw every little feature on their phones so it made a big difference. I'm just running Nova launcher these days.

Never used paranoid but a friend did and he loved it. Phone I have now has nova but don't use it. Maybe I should give it a test drive.

My main N9600 is still running stock OneUI 2 (though now my safetynet is f***ed (even after a complete wipe and odin flash I still fail, pretty sure my device is either blacklisted or safetynet digs real deep now...) so I might put lineageOS on it.),
N960F I have runs EvolutionX (GSI image)
my old LG G6 (US997) runs HavocOS (3.0)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Android phones currently actually perform best with the stock OS. So for someone who wants to keep that speed and stability while having privacy, would be better off with some heavy debloating instead of a complete custom ROM.

I would say this isn't always, stability makes sense but privacy and performance are usually better on AOSP based ROMs compared to OneUI/LG UX and other heavy skins of android, LineageOS on S9/N9 actually gets better battery life and performance compared to stock OneUI.

Edit: For performance, a significant amount of performance is determined via the kernel on android phones, a custom kernel even on a stock rom can give you sometimes significantly higher performance and even battery life so yes, the performance can be mostly made up with a custom kernel on a stock rom but battery life can definitely be longer on optimized custom roms.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1