Looking to getting my First DAC

GuestForeverX
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

First off, you need an amp after any DAC. There's DAC/amp combo units, but that one you link isn't one. I can link you something I just got when I get to a real computer, but....

Second, with your budget you wont really be improving over onboard. I'd say get better headphones first - the Pioneer SE-A1000 is $55 on Amazon.com and would likely give you better positional audio over your current 'phones. Review linked in my signature.

Since coming to Linus Tech Tips I have looked up stuff about surround sound and such.

I am really interested in getting myself a DAC. However I'm not sure if it would improve my audio experience when listening to music and gaming.

I do have on board DTS with the Asus M5A99FX so I should have a good S/PDIF output for Surround Sound?

I have been using my Skullcandy Hesh 2 for gaming and music.

Will I get a more true surround sound experience with my mid range headphones?

I bought a usb gaming headset and hated it, so I switched back to my Hesh 2. Whatever solution I use, I find one of my ears going deaf if I turn my character just a few degrees away from an audio source like a NPC, but should that happen? Shouldn't it just balance the volume between left and right ears.

If I do get one I want one with at least a S/PDIF Input and a 3.5mm Output. I believe I don't need an amp dac combo because I have good volume with most devices I use with my headphones. I was looking for one in the range of $20 to $50

Would something like this be a good place to start? { Panlong DAC $20 }

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

First off, you need an amp after any DAC. There's DAC/amp combo units, but that one you link isn't one. I can link you something I just got when I get to a real computer, but....

Second, with your budget you wont really be improving over onboard. I'd say get better headphones first - the Pioneer SE-A1000 is $55 on Amazon.com and would likely give you better positional audio over your current 'phones. Review linked in my signature.

Maybe I should wait a bit, save up some more, then and try to get a DAC/Amp Combo.  I might give those pioneers a try, but with that long 18 feet cord idk. Any idea if they make a similar model with detachable cable, I really like having detachable cables as cables are cheaper to replace than a pair of nice headphones.  Later on I wanted to give AudioTechnica a go maybe with something like  these.  hmm lots of choices.

Is there difference Between USB and S/PDIF in terms of quality for a Dac/Amp combo

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

Maybe I should wait a bit, save up some more, then and try to get a DAC/Amp Combo.  I might give those pioneers a try, but with that long 18 feet cord idk. Any idea if they make a similar model with detachable cable, I really like having detachable cables as cables are cheaper to replace than a pair of nice headphones.  Later on I wanted to give AudioTechnica a go maybe with something like  these.  hmm lots of choices.

Haven't heard a lot of news about the 20/30/40X, but they look a lot more compelling than their non-X counterparts.

For other options with removable cables, look at the NXG NX-HTDJ (very good despite the low price), and the NVX XPT100 (also very good, but better build quality).

Are the HTDJ really superior to Skullcandy's Hesh 2? The price of 15 is just really hard to believe.

also on the amazon page for them Link

• Triple shielded for maximum graphics performance, prevents signal and color loss

Interesting  :lol:

Are the HTDJ really superior to Skullcandy's Hesh 2? The price of 15 is just really hard to believe.

also on the amazon page for them Link

• Triple shielded for maximum graphics performance, prevents signal and color loss
Interesting  :lol:

Yeah, the description is lulz.

I haven't tried those specific skullcandys, but skullcandy just rebrands other headphones so I assume they cost about the same to produce.

The NXG's are supposedly a rebrand/redesign of a monoprice headphone, and it gets mixed reviews. Some say it's amazing, some just say it's "Pretty good for the price." I think there might be some high manufacturing tolerances to make such a variety of reviews, but I got a pretty good sounding pair at least.

Yeah, the description is lulz.

I haven't tried those specific skullcandys, but skullcandy just rebrands other headphones so I assume they cost about the same to produce.

The NXG's are supposedly a rebrand/redesign of a monoprice headphone, and it gets mixed reviews. Some say it's amazing, some just say it's "Pretty good for the price." I think there might be some high manufacturing tolerances to make such a variety of reviews, but I got a pretty good sounding pair at least.

I'll try to save up for maybe something like the FiiO E10

So something like this from monoprice would have better sound and accuracy than Hesh 2 Probably for now  Link

I'll try to save up for maybe something like the FiiO E10

You said in the OP you wanted surround sound - you wont get that with the E10 unless you use software like Razer Surround.

So something like this from monoprice would have better sound and accuracy than Hesh 2 Probably for now  Link

Maybe not better sounding, but probably not worse.

That NXG I linked above is supposedly the same thing, but with velour earpads and at a lower cost. I'd get them for comfort alone.

You said in the OP you wanted surround sound - you wont get that with the E10 unless you use software like Razer Surround.

I wouldn't mind using Razer Surround.

But for curiosity sake what Type of DAC/Amp  would provide Surround Sound through 2 drivers in a pair of nice headphones ? and in what range would it cost?

I wouldn't mind using Razer Surround.

But for curiosity sake what Type of DAC/Amp  would provide Surround Sound through 2 drivers in a pair of nice headphones ? and in what range would it cost?

You'd need something with S/PDIF inputs if you wanted a specific type of virtual surround from a specific soundcard. Those'll likely be expensive.

Never seen a DAC that had virtual surround built in, unless you count the Astro mixamp.

You'd need something with S/PDIF inputs if you wanted a specific type of virtual surround from a specific soundcard. Those'll likely be expensive.

Never seen a DAC that had virtual surround built in, unless you count the Astro mixamp.

Maybe I have been thinking about a DAC all wrong, I was thinking all DAC's made your audio into virtual surround.

I might still get one because people say they give much higher quality sound, with good headphones.

Anyhow because you reminded me of Razer Surround. I just realized I hadn't given it a new chance, since my last gaming headset was garbage. And since I realized I get better sound through my back I/O ports instead of my front panel then updated my Bios and Drivers. 

I just tried out razer surround on my Hesh2 and It is a lot better than before

and it will probably do for now till I get some some funds for a DAC and Nice Headphones.

Maybe I have been thinking about a DAC all wrong, I was thinking all DAC's made your audio into virtual surround.

I might still get one because people say they give much higher quality sound, with good headphones.

Anyhow because you reminded me of Razer Surround. I just realized I hadn't given it a new chance, since my last gaming headset was garbage. And since I realized I get better sound through my back I/O ports instead of my front panel then updated my Bios and Drivers. 

I just tried out razer surround on my Hesh2 and It is a lot better than before

and it will probably do for now till I get some some funds for a DAC and Nice Headphones.

Cool. I'm at a PC now, so here's that DAC I recently got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WN7QT4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's no channel imbalance at super low volumes, which is a common problem with cheaper amps that drives the hell outta me. Also has a mic input, the lack of which is a drawback many people complain about.