PC has started to underperform in games (stuttering, much lower fps than usual)

g0aky

My performance in games has gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z370-P

CPU: I7 8700k

GPU: GTX 970

PSU: Corsair TX850M, 850W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB (2x8 Dual channel)

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

HDD: WDC 1 TB

Most of the parts are from 2017, but the GTX 970 is from 2015.

Symptoms:

I first noticed unusual stuttering in the game Mordhau a few weeks ago. Other games ran fine, so I thought it was an issue with the game. Later, I got into the VALORANT Beta and I experienced some fps drops when action was happening on the screen, even on low settings. After that CSGO started to run very badly, and I concluded that the issue must be on my end, either software or hardware related.

CSGO: Low fps in general. It drops to 50-60 fps on high settings and 80-90 fps on low settings. Before this issue I could easily get 250+ fps on low settings and 150+ fps on high settings. Also fps drops when action is happening with multiple

players on screen. No stuttering.

Mordhau: Varies from light to heavy stuttering. FPS is normal and good, which is very surprising and weird to me. The stuttering will make the fps drop for a split second.

Unfortunately I don’t have spare parts that I can swap with, so I have to narrow down the problem some other way.

What I have tried and looked at so far:

- Yesterday I wiped my SSD and did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, but the problems persists exactly like before. So I’m thinking that it’s hardware related.

- I suspected that my GPU was dying since it’s almost 5 years old, but there are no artifacts and I think the Furmark score is decent for a GTX 970 (3700-3900 points on 1080p preset 0xAA).

- Nvidia control panel and in-game settings should be fine. V-sync disabled everywhere, frame queue limited to 1, power management is set to prefer max performance.

- System stability is (generally) fine as far as I have tested (CPU passes Prime95 over night, and 10 rounds of IntelBurnTest, Memtest86 showed no errors after a few hours).

- However, I have experienced random restarts once every month or every few weeks, going back at least ½ a year. This problem I suspected was caused by my PSU or Windows 10. I never got to the bottom of this issue. I’m not sure if this problem is related, and it might be fixed now on a clean Windows 10, but I have no way to reproduce it. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

- GPU and CPU temperatures are within the normal range on idle and load.

I would really appreciate some help with this. Any suggestions on what I could try are welcome.

HWmonitor on load (while in CSGO):

1920430000_hwminfowhilerunningcsgo.png.65efc61abb57d7a4bd4cf104b0355bef.png

Furmark score:

983722507_Furmarkscore.png.3711fa8c0fbf6d5c56a6bee36d09de60.png

FPS in CSGO (top right):

Low settings:

low_settings_cs_go.thumb.png.8216902362d0e92c704b52e02d11baa7.png

High settings:

high_settings_cs_go.thumb.png.5ba08c82137111ee5e7646a01846a2e5.png

This problem is not due to damage to some internal computer components, but rather has a host of other causes Games are the main killer of internal computer components, especially as they consume a high percentage of the graphics card, processor and RAM, especially with some people who defraud through some methods on the computer to run large games on devices with limited specifications, which leads to the depletion of the device's resources.

11 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

DDU your nvidia drivers

I did that on my previous Windows 10 with no results. Yesterday I formatted and reinstalled Windows 10. I just assumed using DDU on a clean Windows with the newest nvidia driver wouldn't do anything, but I'll give it a try.

2 hours ago, akram_osama said:

This problem is not due to damage to some internal computer components, but rather has a host of other causes Games are the main killer of internal computer components, especially as they consume a high percentage of the graphics card, processor and RAM, especially with some people who defraud through some methods on the computer to run large games on devices with limited specifications, which leads to the depletion of the device's resources.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting a virus that's hogging my resources or something like that? I did run malwarebytes and other free anti-virus software prior to cleaning my harddrive and didn't find anything.

*content removed by mods*

Edited by wkdpaul
cleanup

* thread cleaned *

As per the Community Standards, trolling isn't allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !