Crucial P1 1TB Nvme Overheating

So I bought a Crucial P1 1TB Nvme SSD last week, it's been great until last night while playing DragonBall Z Kakarot when suddenly my whole PC shut off and then restarted itself I checked the temp of the SSD and found it maxed out at 93c. I let it cool down to about 50-60c then tried playing the game again, once again the PC shut off and restarted itself I check the temp of the SSD this time around 89c. So I tried playing less intensive games like CSGO had no issues with it overheating got to about 67-68c and stayed around there PC didn't shut off. So really I have a couple questions 

1) I have everything OS games files etc stored on the Nvme if it overheats like that is it normal for the PC to shut itself down and restart itself 

2) Is my SSD faulty? Or is it the game causing the issue? 

3) Should I buy a heatsink for it and if so what is a recommended heatsink?

1) Yes, in case of a overheating component the PC will shut itself down to prevent damages.

2) Probably not.

3) Depends on the rest of your hardware:

- Which motherboard are you using and in which M.2 slot did you install the drive?

- Which case are you using?

- Which GPU are you using?

- Which CPU cooler are you using?

(These are all factors that impact the drive's temperature significantly)

49 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

1) Yes, in case of a overheating component the PC will shut itself down to prevent damages.

2) Probably not.

3) Depends on the rest of your hardware:

- Which motherboard are you using and in which M.2 slot did you install the drive?

- Which case are you using?

- Which GPU are you using?

- Which CPU cooler are you using?

(These are all factors that impact the drive's temperature significantly)

- Asus PRIME B365M-A matx it is in the M.2 slot between the CPU socket and GPU.

- Phanteks P300 case

- RX580 8GB NITRO+ Sapphire 

- cooler master ML120L RGB AIO 

20200424_133126.jpg

1 minute ago, DemcoRage said:

- Phanteks P300 case

Now that I see a picture I'm sure that the issue you're facing is related to the positioning of your GPU, CPU and M.2 SSD.
Your SSD is sitting directly inbetween the two hottest components in your system and the airflow in the P300 isn't exactly fantastic.

So a heatsink is most likely going to help at least a little bit, but will also require more airflow I assume.

What you could do, is to unmount the rear fan and just position it so it blows air directly onto the M.2 drive and see if that stops it from overheating.
If it does, a heatsink will definitely help to cool the drive down, but you'll most likely have to increase airflow within the system somehow.

The controller should throttle between 70-80C (as by sensor), above that it's definitely too hot. Rare case where I'd advise a heatsink, if you care about appearance the one from EKWB might do the job (12.99 from their site, 14.99 on Newegg, etc). Also, it's likely the GPU causing the issue.

Thank you for the replies will adding a heatsink void my 5 year warranty?  

7 hours ago, DemcoRage said:

- Phanteks P300 case

20200424_133126.jpg

Or would most likely run less hot if you put it in the M.2 slot that is behind/under the GPU because the fans on the GPU would give it airflow it doesn't get now.

At least that was someone else tried and it did run less hot. You can try that before adding a heatsink if you wan to saved some money.

On that mobo, both slots seem to be the same speed so don't worry about that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

Or would most likely run less hot if you put it in the M.2 slot that is behind/under the GPU because the fans on the GPU would give it airflow it doesn't get now.

At least that was someone else tried and it did run less hot. You can try that before adding a heatsink if you wan to saved some money.

On that mobo, both slots seem to be the same speed so don't worry about that.

Thanks for the reply, I will try relocating it under the GPU, I also have 3 more 120mm fans on the way as currently it only has one 120mm exhaust fan and one 120mm fan on the radiator in pull configuration 

Just now, DemcoRage said:

Thanks for the reply, I will try relocating it under the GPU, I also have 3 more 120mm fans on the way as currently it only has one 120mm exhaust fan and one 120mm fan on the radiator in pull configuration 

If it doesn't help you can always move it bacl. :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

As someone else mentioned, airflow is also good. I usually remove the label carefully from the drive and place it on something like wax paper so I can replace it if need be for warranty. Technically it does not violate US warranty laws. As for the second M.2 socket, on that motherboard it would work fine.