Dual Monitors flash when turning both on

Espy the Espeon

Specs for my pc (current):
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

MB: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming ATX

Memory: Patriot DDR4 3000MHZ (i cant remember the exact Model off hand)

Graphic: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070

PCU: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze

Specs for my pc a year ago

CPU: Intel I5-4690

MB: Asus H97M-Plus

Patriot viper 3 LP Red 16gb (2x8gb) DDR3 1600

Graphic: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 

PCU: Same as newest build

This is my current build as of now, however this issue started even before this build. It started when i first started with dual monitor setups. at first it was 2 tvs i had at the time. When turning them on at the same time, or even just one on then the other. they show the desktop. then it flashes between off and on for both monitors before settling and displaying both correctly. This issue has persisted not only between displays, but also full builds. im not sure if im missing something that should prevent this, but i should feel that if i turned the monitors on, they should simply display without this flashing off and on all the time. 

Now i have 2 144hz monitors that are behaving in exactly the same way. they are using stock DP with the card, not HDMI (couldnt get dual with my converted HDMI > DP for some reason)

I have the latest drivers for my Graphic card, but since this happened with my old card too im doubtful they are the issue.

Depending on what it is you mean exactly this is quite normal.

I have two displays and it happens from time to time, that my second display gets initialized first, which means it turns itself off and turns itself on again, after the other monitor has been initialized.

Now it could be that you're facing an entirely different issue. A video of the issue would help to understand it better.

i can try to take a video with my camera first chance i get. as for as my day to day use, both my monitors are always turned off when not in use. i turn them both on at once usually and they come on at once, then do the flashing off and on, then after a few moments it has both showing without issue. when i turn only one of them on the screen never flashes and just displays as normal. but as soon as i turn the second one on, the flashing starts, few moments and then its normal.

i suppose my main question is: Is this typical behavior for multi monitor setups, or do i have some setting incorrectly set up in windows/bios

28 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

i suppose my main question is: Is this typical behavior for multi monitor setups, or do i have some setting incorrectly set up in windows/bios

I run four monitors, I've never had this experience since I ever started running more than one. Perhaps it has something to do with powering them off. Leave them turned on then try and replicate it.

I can try, but the issue is the lighting disturbs my sleep and i have cats that love jumping on my desk. So they will set it off and turn the display back on

4 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

I can try, but the issue is the lighting disturbs my sleep and i have cats that love jumping on my desk. So they will set it off and turn the display back on

Make sure to use the quote function.

Set your computer to ignore all wake timers, and disable your keyboard and mouse from being able to wake your computer.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Make sure to use the quote function.

Set your computer to ignore all wake timers, and disable your keyboard and mouse from being able to wake your computer.

How would I turn it back on if I dont use mouse and keyboard, i should mention I never shut down my computer and only restart to update software or after running ccleaner

1 minute ago, Espy the Espeon said:

How would I turn it back on if I dont use mouse and keyboard, i should mention I never shut down my computer and only restart to update software or after running ccleaner

You'd just push the power button to wake from sleep. It's what I do everyday - as I myself have disabled all wake from sleep stuff.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

You'd just push the power button to wake from sleep. It's what I do everyday - as I myself have disabled all wake from sleep stuff.

Ok so how would it be put to sleep with ease, I dont exactly have the luxury to wait for it to do so automatically. Also thr other reason I dont turn the computer off or let it log me out is because I often forget passwords and reseting passwords is a pain in my experience

Just now, Espy the Espeon said:

Ok so how would it be put to sleep with ease, I dont exactly have the luxury to wait for it to do so automatically. Also thr other reason I dont turn the computer off or let it log me out is because I often forget passwords and reseting passwords is a pain in my experience

Waiting since I have the sleep mode set to 5 hours before it sleeps

7 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

Just click the start menu, click the power button, then click "sleep". Same thing I do.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Just click the start menu, click the power button, then click "sleep". Same thing I do.

will the monitors "turn off" immediately as soon as i do that? even the "halo" effect on the monitors would be a bother at times

4 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

will the monitors "turn off" immediately as soon as i do that? even the "halo" effect on the monitors would be a bother at times

Yup. Not sure what you mean by halo effect though. But the screens will turn off, just like if you actually powered them off. They're in their own sleep mode that automatically engages when you sleep or power of your pc.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Yup. Not sure what you mean by halo effect though. But the screens will turn off, just like if you actually powered them off. They're in their own sleep mode that automatically engages when you sleep or power of your pc.

having never put these monitors to sleep before, when i had tv monitors they have this backlight glow when the pc went to sleep

ok i tested your idea to try to use sleep mode, that seems to not cause the issue with the flickering. ill still upload a vid of the effect just in case there is a way to fix it without this workaround

6 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

ok i tested your idea to try to use sleep mode, that seems to not cause the issue with the flickering. ill still upload a vid of the effect just in case there is a way to fix it without this workaround

Ok so there is no way to record a video that is smaller that 20MB due to amount of time it takes to record the whole effect. Is there a way to upload this then

2 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

Ok so there is no way to record a video that is smaller that 20MB due to amount of time it takes to record the whole effect. Is there a way to upload this then

I managed to edit the video and lower the quality further.

8 minutes ago, Espy the Espeon said:

I managed to edit the video and lower the quality further.

just did some longer testing with the sleep mode, the effect still happens if the monitors are allowed to go into their normal sleep mode. before i never let the monitors fully go to sleep before waking the system