van de graaff Dust filter?

Trentonxx

Ok this is a stupid idea I got while applying a dust filter to the air intake of a fan.

how viable is the idea of having like a “dust magnet” bar or grill on top of the fan intake (like 1cm away?) to attract all dust particles in the room, before getting sucked into the fan depressurized zone.

is it a stupid idea? Like it won’t work or it will just emit sparks and rise up my arm hair?

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

2 hours ago, ColinLTT said:

One way to find out! Ill get the popcorn. 

Ok, after a bit of theory and some DIY videos the "charged wind" effect is confirmed.

I just need the math(????) to apply it to the area of the intake, without being discharged by the metal chassis of the case (grounded to the PSU).

immagine.thumb.png.4d969dc38c3d02a4eff82f3f9c292d46.png

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

On 4/30/2020 at 9:19 PM, Trentonxx said:

Ok, after a bit of theory and some DIY videos the "charged wind" effect is confirmed.

I just need the math(????) to apply it to the area of the intake, without being discharged by the metal chassis of the case (grounded to the PSU).

You can get ionic air purifiers which work on that principle of movement where positively charged dust particles get attracted to a negatively grounded plate or filter. In industry electrostatic ionizer bars are common for generating or removing charges for handling purposes or even dust prevention. 

I can imagine one problem being that if the generator collects a lot of dust, if that's even what would happen, the dust build up could reduce the charge on the generator and reduce its effectiveness. So you'd have to clean the generator just as often as you have to clean filters.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, Trentonxx said:

Ok this is a stupid idea I got while applying a dust filter to the air intake of a fan.

how viable is the idea of having like a “dust magnet” bar or grill on top of the fan intake (like 1cm away?) to attract all dust particles in the room, before getting sucked into the fan depressurized zone.

is it a stupid idea? Like it won’t work or it will just emit sparks and rise up my arm hair?

just....just dont

3 hours ago, IamA-kid-LEARNING said:

just....just dont

I’m going to trust your profile pic as an expert in the field. Haha

I was working on 2 swiffer duster pads sewed in a loop, where half of the loop is in a plastic tube, and coming out will charge it enough to dust the external mesh filter. But I think I am leaving more dust as shredded swiffer material than actual dust

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

2 hours ago, Trentonxx said:

I was working on 2 swiffer duster pads sewed in a loop, where half of the loop is in a plastic tube, and coming out will charge it enough to dust the external mesh filter. But I think I am leaving more dust as shredded swiffer material than actual dust

can you take a photo of this swiffer MANSTROSITY !!!!!!!    please🥺

i am also seing that your 2020 pc has similar specs as the one i am willing to buy.

but mine will have a ryzen 5 2600 but TUF motherboard and the crucial balistix is the same .

are they worth buying for mine as well ???

i also like a lot the NO cat avatar 😆

2 hours ago, Trentonxx said:

I was working on 2 swiffer duster pads sewed in a loop, where half of the loop is in a plastic tube, and coming out will charge it enough to dust the external mesh filter. But I think I am leaving more dust as shredded swiffer material than actual dust

you mingt be able to trap dust like this

but high votage is dangerus  an your pc wont like it either....

3 hours ago, IamA-kid-LEARNING said:

can you take a photo of this swiffer MANSTROSITY !!!!!!!    please🥺

i am also seing that your 2020 pc has similar specs as the one i am willing to buy.

but mine will have a ryzen 5 2600 but TUF motherboard and the crucial balistix is the same .

are they worth buying for mine as well ???

i also like a lot the NO cat avatar 😆

Tomorrow with better light! 

as for the pc, wew. What a odyssey it was, I started studying for the components since February! The TUF was the best x570 motherboard in terms of price/performance with an optical audio connector, while the Ram with that specific serial are due to the Rev-e die on them for OC tweaking. 

if you can find my previous posts before I got this one (I think 2 weeks ago in my profile activity) you will see all the components and the “reason” why I pick them, after weeks of studying each components like watching hours and hours of Buildzoid video and Gamers nexus to learn how Ram compatibility works with Ryzen 3000, why I picked a 3800x over 3600 and how I ended up overcharging for the PSU (spoiler: Amazon stock during Quarantine was literally a fight, every item got out of stock by the time I put them in the cart and prices were fluctuating so much, I had to get whatever was available and it wasn’t much to pick from :( ) 

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build: