Updated bios using Live Update 5 getting BSOD HELP

zooks15

Hey guys, so i update my msi z87-g45 motherboard bios using live update 5 (now i know its crap) and now my pc blue screens on startup. Ive done multiple cmos restarts, boot sata mode is in AHCI mode (think it should be in that mode, not IDE). Ive tried a fresh windows 8 install and everything works fine. However when i change my boot order to SSD first (OS on it), it blue screens. Please help!

You installed Windows 8 on the SSD right? If yes you have to select Windows Boot Manager in your boot order menu. If you don't nothing will happen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Bios update rule: Never do it in an OS environment..

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

Hey guys, so i update my msi z87-g45 motherboard bios using live update 5 (now i know its crap) and now my pc blue screens on startup. Ive done multiple cmos restarts, boot sata mode is in AHCI mode (think it should be in that mode, not IDE). Ive tried a fresh windows 8 install and everything works fine. However when i change my boot order to SSD first (OS on it), it blue screens. Please help!

You can either download that same BIOS version and re-install it via the BIOS and not live update 5 and see if it works better or you can download the BIOS version that came with your motherboard and re-install that.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Don't get why motherboard manufacturers are releasing software that allows you to update your bios in the OS environment as it is the easiest way to brick your bios. Can you access your bios ? If you can, I would update your bios using a DOS environment. What BSOD message are you getting.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer