Tcl 4 series and rtx 2060 super HDMI 2.0

frankr2994

So got our Iracing rig geeked up at work with a 50" 4k tcl 4 series tv. No display ports on it so to avoid any I'll effects I bought a HDMI 2.1 cable. I know the tv nor the GPU have 2.1 I believe they are both 2.0b. it's been playing now at 4k 60hz just fine but I was interested in seeing how low I could get the utilization of the GPU going to 1440 to investigate going triple screen. I didn't have a 1440 60hz option so I figured I'd check what the HDMI input was set to. It was set on auto so I set it to 2.0. it technically should have already been using this to do 4k 60hz but when I changed that and selecting the input for the PC leads to a distorted and tinted and otherwise awful looking display. On auto it looks great. All I wanted to see is if my "approved" list of resolutions and refresh rates would change. Any ideas? I don't have personal access to the rig because it's at work so I can't try anything until I'm back there tomorrow.

There is no such thing as a 2.1 cable, all HDMI cables are the same.

They are literally a bunch of copper cables that go from one end to the other.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So for anyone who cares I guess the issue was changing the HDMI input type while the PC was on. I set it to 2.0 with the tv on PC off then powered up the PC. Display was fine and I was presented with a 1440p 60hz option in Nvidia control panel. Seemed to take a decent load off the GPU and I couldn't tell the difference. I have to experiment now with game settings to see how low I can get GPU utilization with good settings.