Should I replace my 7 year old Corsair PSU?

Fuzzyy

So I have the Corsair TX-850M 850 watt 80+Bronze PSU back from 2013. The fan in it has gone bad a year after, and I replaced it with a Noctua NF-P14 Redux and it has been holding up great since. I used this PSU with my first system, with GTX 760 and FX 8350 @ 4.5 Ghz and had no problems. 1 year ago I built a new system with RX 5700XT and Ryzen 5 3600 and I heard excessive coil whine for the first time. I tought that the coil whine was from the 5700XT, after a couple of months I bought used 1080Ti which I am currently using and the coil whine is very loud when the system is under load. And I have fps drops/game freezes in COD MW 2019, could the power supply be the reason for it? Maybe it can't deliver the needed power for the GPU, and that causes fps drops.

So what my question is, can coil whine be sign of anything bad? Should I switch my PSU? I have been thinking of getting the Corsair RM 750, the new one with 10 years of warranty. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

Replace it.

You've bought all new parts EXCEPT for the PSU.

Though, I will say, frame drops aren't necessarily a PSU problem.

If the power supply shuts down while gaming, then I would definitely believe the power supply is on its last legs. But I would definitely be in the market for a new one soon as if a PSU dies, it can take other components with it. 

Check out PSU Tier List 4.0 in looking for a good quality power supply. Try to pick one from the A list. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 hours ago, Descorator said:

Maybe it can't deliver the needed power for the GPU, and that causes fps drops.

That not really how it works but it may be PSU, although as Jon said, not necessarily. Do you have other (decent) PSU to test this PC with ? Well, and regardless, it's an old PSU, it would be probably a good idea to replace it anyway at this point.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Replace it.

You've bought all new parts EXCEPT for the PSU.

Though, I will say, frame drops aren't necessarily a PSU problem.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

That not really how it works but it may be PSU, although as Jon said, not necessarily. Do you have other (decent) PSU to test this PC with ? Well, and regardless, it's an old PSU, it would be probably a good idea to replace it anyway at this point.

I have ordered the Corsair RM 750 2019, found it on a discount. Hope it solves the coil whine issue. Thanks for the replies!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

1 hour ago, Juular said:

No, I don't have a PSU to test it with, I just ordered the Corsair RM 750, should get it by tomorrow and i will update the thread if it solves the coil whine and FPS drop/game freeze issues.

Update: I installed the corsair RM 750 and it turns out both my GPU and old PSU were making coil whine, but it has been reduced significantly!

1 hour ago, Descorator said:

Update: I installed the corsair RM 750 and it turns out both my GPU and old PSU were making coil whine, but it has been reduced significantly!

That is great to hear!!

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"