iPhone 6s home button not working after dropping water on display

I dripped some water on the lower portion of my iPhone 6s and the home button is now non functional. On the lock screen it says “Unable to activate Touch ID on this iPhone” and clicking the home button doesn’t do anything. Is there an easy fix to this? I’ve already tried restarting my phone, powering it off and cleaning the home button with q-tips (this actually made the home button function for about a minute after restarting but didn’t fix Touch ID), and tapping it against a towel to try and get water out if there’s any inside. Please Help!

5 minutes ago, emerald_piggy said:

tapping it against a towel to try and get water out if there’s any inside. Please Help!

You're not going to get water out that way if small amounts are trapped in there and e.g. shorting some contacts. Best bet would be to turn it off and leave it in a warm (not hot) place for some days to make sure the water evaporates. Of course if the water has minerals in it (i.e. pretty much always), it might leave stuff behind after evaporating which may still cause issues.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

You're not going to get water out that way if small amounts are trapped in there and e.g. shorting some contacts. Best bet would be to turn it off and leave it in a warm (not hot) place for some days to make sure the water evaporates. Of course if the water has minerals in it (i.e. pretty much always), it might leave stuff behind after evaporating which may still cause issues.

thanks that’s really helpful :) 

I guess it’s the same fix to every iphone problem just leave it in rice ;)