Clicking Noise

Jray204

Hi,

I just finished building my PC and installed windows. Everytime the PC turns on I hear a clicking sound. It's like a metronome, not a sharp click but like a digitally sounding click. Yes I know it's a weird description but there we go. Now I suspected it coming from the Harddrive, a Seagate Barracuda 2TB, although I am not sure, but it is the most likely component. However nothing is installed on the HDD and I just formatted it now for storage, as windows is installed on my SSD. I did a test writing some massive text documents to and from the drive and the clicking didnt occour. I havent actually had any problems with the hard drive so far either. I store all my main data on the cloud, and I only keep applications (which I can reinstall if the drive fails) on the drive itself. Is it safe to carry on using the drive? 

2 minutes ago, Jray204 said:

I store all my main data on the cloud, and I only keep applications (which I can reinstall if the drive fails) on the drive itself.

Yes, this makes it safe to keep using the drive.

Some PSU's have a relay switch that makes a click when the pc is turned on and off. If it happens only at start up, its probably that. You can unplug the HDD and listen to the sound to clearly identify if it comes from HDD.

45 minutes ago, merco said:

Yes, this makes it safe to keep using the drive.

The thing is I still wouldnt want it to fail. I still have time to return it currently.

43 minutes ago, lafrente said:

Some PSU's have a relay switch that makes a click when the pc is turned on and off.

Indeed mine has this, but this sound is much more defined and sharp. The sound I suspect from the hardrive seems to be more faint and a slightly digital sounding noise.

2 hours ago, Jray204 said:

The thing is I still wouldnt want it to fail. I still have time to return it currently.

I would run a s.m.a.r.t. tool or windows diagnostic on it and see if it is healthy.