Advice needed: Quieter mechanical keyboard

XHD600X

Hi there!

Since I'll be sharing my workspace soon I'll be looking for a different keyboard. Currently I have the Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2. I like the tactile switches in this one but they are a bit loud. Especially when you have to work with someone else lol. What is a good keyboard I can change to? Or, should I look for those O rings you put under the keycaps? Before this keyboard I had a Corsair K65 with Cherry MX red. Which I liked but didn't have the clicky feel to it that I was seeking for and the keyboard was too light in my opinion. The main use of the keyboard will be for programming/writing and some gaming.

Thanks!

orings only quiet the downstroke, but they also reduce the travel distance and can make it feel mushy. Avoid orings if you can.

If you want a quieter keyboard, you'll have to look into one with new switches. Sadly, there aren't many off-the-shelf budget options. You might be able to find something from China with Gateron Silent Browns.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

orings only quiet the downstroke, but they also reduce the travel distance and can make it feel mushy. Avoid orings if you can.

If you want a quieter keyboard, you'll have to look into one with new switches. Sadly, there aren't many off-the-shelf budget options. You might be able to find something from China with Gateron Silent Browns.

Then no O rings it is lol. I'll look into those, I don't mind going for something exotic tbh. Looking at it, I was already thinking about building my own keyboard (Feel like that is next level PC Enthusiast lol.) but never did it because I didn't know what is good.

Just now, XHD600X said:

Then no O rings it is lol. I'll look into those, I don't mind going for something exotic tbh. Looking at it, I was already thinking about building my own keyboard (Feel like that is next level PC Enthusiast lol.) but never did it because I didn't know what is good.

Yeah good idea, building your own keyboard would be the best way to go, although customs with silent switches (that aren't like silent Gaterons or anything) are pretty expensive.

If you want something (relatively) cheap, get a China mech with silent Gaterons. You could also look into a good rubber dome board like a BTC 5139 or 5100C, although these aren't *that* quiet (but they are some of the best rubber domes ever made; some, like me, even prefer it to Topre).

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, XHD600X said:

Hi there!

Since I'll be sharing my workspace soon I'll be looking for a different keyboard. Currently I have the Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2. I like the tactile switches in this one but they are a bit loud. Especially when you have to work with someone else lol. What is a good keyboard I can change to? Or, should I look for those O rings you put under the keycaps? Before this keyboard I had a Corsair K65 with Cherry MX red. Which I liked but didn't have the clicky feel to it that I was seeking for and the keyboard was too light in my opinion. The main use of the keyboard will be for programming/writing and some gaming.

Thanks!

For a tactile switch, the browns are tactile but dont have the audible click. Any keyboard with browns will be mechanically clicky, just not audibly clicky.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, pierom_qwerty said:

For a tactile switch, the browns are tactile but dont have the audible click. Any keyboard with browns will be mechanically clicky, just not audibly clicky.

I don't mind about audible clicky. I use my noise cancelling headphones anyway. But I do like the feel of the click. So I will be looking into silent browns!

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah good idea, building your own keyboard would be the best way to go, although customs with silent switches (that aren't like silent Gaterons or anything) are pretty expensive.

If you want something (relatively) cheap, get a China mech with silent Gaterons. You could also look into a good rubber dome board like a BTC 5139 or 5100C, although these aren't *that* quiet (but they are some of the best rubber domes ever made; some, like me, even prefer it to Topre).

I was also reading quite good things about the Zilent V2 and the Matias Quiet Click. What bothers me tho is that most websites only offer the 60% keyboards. Not a full size keyboard.

2 minutes ago, XHD600X said:

I was also reading quite good things about the Zilent V2 and the Matias Quiet Click. What bothers me tho is that most websites only offer the 60% keyboards. Not a full size keyboard.

Yeah, that is one problem with modern mechs. While I would recommend something like a Leopold FC900R with Silent Reds, those are pretty shit switches, and you also said you didn't like the weighting of MX Red.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah, that is one problem with modern mechs. While I would recommend something like a Leopold FC900R with Silent Reds, those are pretty shit switches, and you also said you didn't like the weighting of MX Red.

I do like the look of the Leopold (especially with a custom keycap set!). I'm going to hunt further in China, maybe I will find something!

8 minutes ago, XHD600X said:

I do like the look of the Leopold (especially with a custom keycap set!). I'm going to hunt further in China, maybe I will find something!

Yeah the Leopold itself is a great board but the switches just let it down lol.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah the Leopold itself is a great board but the switches just let it down lol.

I may try the normal MX Browns tho. I looked up some comparisons and they are already way more silent than my current keyboard

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Matias-Quiet-Pro-Keyboard-for-PC-FK302QPC-Used-Working/324146654010?hash=item4b78a56b3a:g:MMMAAOSwGhRepKUC

If you are interested in silenced Matias and want a full-size board (and obviously don't mind doing a little bit of cleaning), this is a decent price.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

19 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Matias-Quiet-Pro-Keyboard-for-PC-FK302QPC-Used-Working/324146654010?hash=item4b78a56b3a:g:MMMAAOSwGhRepKUC

If you are interested in silenced Matias and want a full-size board (and obviously don't mind doing a little bit of cleaning), this is a decent price.

I bit the bullet and order a 60% diy kit wil Zilent V2's. I'll also be making a seperate numpad board! Using a hotswap PCB for now lol