Can vanguard access my files in linux?

Vanguard is the anti cheat of a game called valorant which runs on kernel level (ring 0). I have privacy concerns regarding it as it runs right from the boot. I use windows only for gaming and linux for everything else. Can vanguard access anything from the linux partition?

relevant reddit thread:- https://redd.it/g2zu1c

6 minutes ago, evilapple2k said:

Vanguard is the anti cheat of a game called valorant which runs on kernel level (ring 0). I have privacy concerns regarding it as it runs right from the boot. I use windows only for gaming and linux for everything else. Can vanguard access anything from the linux partition?

relevant reddit thread:- https://redd.it/g2zu1c

Since it runs at the lowest kernel level, I guess it is fair to assume it has raw disk access. Which means it should be able to read other partitions on the disk. If it includes code to read e.g. ext4 then it should theoretically be able to read files from your Linux partition. Alternatively it could just read everything and send it somewhere else to be analyzed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Since it runs at the lowest kernel level, I guess it is fair to assume it has raw disk access. Which means it should be able to read other partitions on the disk. If it includes code to read e.g. ext4 then it should theoretically be able to read files from your Linux partition. Alternatively it could just read everything and send it somewhere else to be analyzed.

Is there any way i can play this game without giving up all of my data for scanning?

Just now, evilapple2k said:

Is there any way i can play this game without giving up all of my data for scanning?

Play it on a separate dedicated PC that has no personal information on it whatsoever. Personally, I'm staying away from games that do stuff like that. Even if they don't abuse the power this gives them... let's see how long it takes for someone to exploit it to do malicious stuff.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

sorry to bother you again @eigenvektor but if i encrypt my entire linux partition then is it possible that vanguard can access it?

Its highly unlikely it will access your Linux File-System, unless you have it mounted under windows using third party software, even then it would depend on how its mounted.

The amount of work they would have to do to implement it would outweigh any benefits, especially considering the various File-Systems that are available.

If you are really worried, then encrypt it, but I personally wouldn't worry to much about it.

I don't think an anti cheat software has an ext4 driver builtin, anyway the only way would be blocking access to the second hard-drive or partition with LUKS (or just unplug it)