IS my Bios as outdated as i think it is?

i watched some video about "things that are really handy to know when building a pc" or something like that and i realised ive built 5 computers and i have never updated BIOS and it never crossed my mind...oops. weird thing. is that i cant find this version on their website. is it safe to assume this version is Pre 12/15/16?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

image.png.c71d5d626bf4ce050445fffc5f7604b9.png

and another question on top of that, when i go to update the BIOS Via flash drive, does that drive have to be empty? or is it able to pull just that file from a flash drive with other files? lets say random songs/videos/pictures. because i dont have an empty flash sitting around, and im lazy.

6 minutes ago, darbstew said:

i watched some video about "things that are really handy to know when building a pc" or something like that and i realised ive built 5 computers and i have never updated BIOS and it never crossed my mind...oops. weird thing. is that i cant find this version on their website. is it safe to assume this version is Pre 12/15/16?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

image.png.c71d5d626bf4ce050445fffc5f7604b9.png

Not sure, go to your motherboards website and Download The latest bios onto a flash drive, I’m not sure how to update a bios but I’m sure you can find a tutorial.

4 minutes ago, darbstew said:

and another question on top of that, when i go to update the BIOS Via flash drive, does that drive have to be empty? or is it able to pull just that file from a flash drive with other files? lets say random songs/videos/pictures. because i dont have an empty flash sitting around, and im lazy.

Not sure if it has to be empty, I’m typing this on a phone so I don’t feel like googling.

Does not have to be empty. Though it is best practice. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Does not have to be empty. Though it is best practice. 

thats what i figured. im a better safe than sorry guy anyways. 

8 minutes ago, darbstew said:

No, but it may have to be formatted as FAT32. NTFS drives might not work.

There's not really a reason to update your BIOS unless you're having problems. Keep in mind that a failed BIOS update can brick your motherboard. It's rare, but it's usually not worth the risk.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, Jesus Christ said:

Not sure if it has to be empty, I’m typing this on a phone so I don’t feel like googling.

Answers like this aren't helpful. If you don't know, just don't answer.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 minutes ago, darbstew said:

i have never updated BIOS

Many manufacturers suggest not updating the BIOS unless it is necessary. This is because it puts the system in a very vulnerable state, a power outage or crash could cause the bricking of the motherboard.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Sorry I’m kinda tired and not thinking properly.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Many manufacturers suggest not updating the BIOS unless it is necessary. This is because it puts the system in a very vulnerable state, a power outage or crash could cause the bricking of the motherboard.

I've been having really high usage on my CPU recently, so i wanted to get to the bottom of it so i assumed to start with making sure everything is up to date. 

9 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

also i forgot. i can no longer see my Corsair H150i Pro on ICue, not to mess with the RGB but i wanted to see what speeds and temps ICue was saying theyre running at. and most of the people that i read on forums, a Bios flash helped them.