RAID 6 - Strange Windows Disk Transfer Rate

d3sl91

Hey All,

Last night I set up a hardware RAID 6 array with 5x3TB WD Red drives on an LSI 9266 RAID controller. 

I am restoring a backup of my previous setup, and have been monitoring it. 

One odd behavior that I have noticed is when looking at the disk usage and transfer rate in task manager.  I see transfer rate dips every few seconds. 

Is this normal for RAID 6 behavior? I have not yet been able to ensure this is not my external drive causing it, in a few hours I'll grab an SSD and start doing some other test transfers. However I wanted to check if this is actually normal due to the RAID 6 configuration.

IMG_20200423_011041.thumb.jpg.7c14d70e31233adf63b54d7a4cb27934.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Your very disk limit from the drive your copying to it seems, test this with a disk benchmark or a much faster disk your copying from.

It looking like its copying into a ram buffer, then dumping it, then filling the buffer again.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your very disk limit from the drive your copying to it seems, test this with a disk benchmark or a much faster disk your copying from.

It looking like its copying into a ram buffer, then dumping it, then filling the buffer again.

Thank you,

Any suggestions on a good disk benchmark? I ran Crystal when it was first set up and all looked good, but that doesn't give me much info. 

IMG_20200423_004253.thumb.jpg.a0401b3811079db4272c04b0e66f4fbc.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

45 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Any suggestions on a good disk benchmark? I ran Crystal when it was first set up and all looked good, but that doesn't give me much info. 

what type of info do you want? You can run something like fio or diskspeed(what crystal disk info is a gui for) with custom tests