3600 overheat help?

vcnt19

I dont know what is going on and im new to ryzen mobo, so yeah lets just get into the main point.

My CPU temp on Ryzen Master goes up to 90C without any overclocking on just regular basis (like Chrome, Steam and Discord on background) for no reason. Especially when opening Chrome tab. It went up like crazy and when I open task manager, it back to normal temp in instance without letting me know whats going on before it went back to normal

Using my stock cooler here (Checked if its mounted properly). Updated all my BIOS and chipset to latest one. 

Ambience is quite hot here around 30-31C, pretty much fine airflow case (no problem found with my GPU temp). But idle temp is still around 45-55C. Power on Ryzen balanced setting.  Tried to find out solution but nothing works so far.

I kinda want to troubleshoot it first before getting a new cooler, dont want to spend extra if my CPU still behaving like this

My PC setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler

MB: MSI B450 Gaming Max Plus

RAM: 2x8GB @ 3000 XMP enabled

PSU: Antec 650W 80+ Bronze

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.23 - 16.13.40.79 (2).png

I'd check that mount again and re-paste / paste it since I know that the Wraith Stealth comes with factory thermal paste on it. If not, maybe make an aggressive fan curve in the bios to see if that has any impact. But, first thing that comes to mind is that it isn't mounted properly

Well I dont think the problem here is the paste. If that then my load during game will be over 90C, but its not. Its just randomly spiked and went to 90 after I open a chrome or so with almost 100% PPT. Not sure what to do now 

What case are you using and how if the airflow set up?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Check your cooler mount. This shouldn't be happening

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case are you using and how if the airflow set up?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

oh right, i already tried removing my side panel and still get the same results. It just randomly (or just a minute after turning on the PC and opening my chrome tab) reaches 90ish C and wont come normal until I open task manager and shows CPU utility is below 10% geez its kinda annoying

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Check your cooler mount. This shouldn't be happening

Gotta do that again I guess. But question, is voltage always above 1.0 during idle normal? 

1 minute ago, vcnt19 said:

oh right, i already tried removing my side panel and still get the same results. It just randomly (or just a minute after turning on the PC and opening my chrome tab) reaches 90ish C and wont come normal until I open task manager and shows CPU utility is below 10% geez its kinda annoying

Have you tried opening Task Manager first? Is it only when you open Chrome? Check and make sure there aren't any other processes or updates running at startup that's causing the cpu to boost. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

57 minutes ago, vcnt19 said:

Gotta do that again I guess. But question, is voltage always above 1.0 during idle normal? 

Use Ryzen Master to track voltage

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried opening Task Manager first? Is it only when you open Chrome? Check and make sure there aren't any other processes or updates running at startup that's causing the cpu to boost. 

So yeah it happened again, try to boot my PC again, startup stuff launching normally and boom it went up. I just let it go for few second and the moment I opened task manager it went back to 50ish again after a split second after and I think I saw "File explorer" process at the top and it quickly disappeared. I managed to take a screenshot just a second after that

Not sure if bug or what but I can hear my fans spinning hard during that

19 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Use Ryzen Master to track voltage

Also what is the "normal" temperature for 3600? My ambient is 30C atm so I should be +10 (around 40) right? it stays at 45-50 when im typing this, should I get a new air cooler because of my current ambient?

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.23 - 18.08.52.31 (2).png

1 minute ago, vcnt19 said:

So yeah it happened again, try to boot my PC again, startup stuff launching normally and boom it went up. I just let it go for few second and the moment I opened task manager it went back to 50ish again after a split second after and I think I saw "File explorer" process at the top and it quickly disappeared. I managed to take a screenshot just a second after that

Not sure if bug or what but I can hear my fans spinning hard during that

Also what is the "normal" temperature for 3600? My ambient is 30C atm so I should be +10 (around 40) right? it stays at 45-50 when im typing this, should I get a new air cooler because of my current ambient?

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.23 - 18.08.52.31 (2).png

what's putting high load on your system?? Seems like you have malware, friend

31 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

what's putting high load on your system?? Seems like you have malware, friend

Dang it you prob right, just realized my windows defender aint working and cannot restart security center whatsoever

Got an idea how to fix it?

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.23 - 18.53.15.71.png

9 hours ago, vcnt19 said:

That's normal for startup. Does the usage stay high the whole time afterwards?

At least 10c over ambient is normal for idle. Any less usually requires very good cooling. Your idle temps seem normal but load is a bit high. What are temps with a synthetic load? I personally use OCCT. 

Double check and make sure the cooler is properly seated. 

8 hours ago, vcnt19 said:

Dang it you prob right, just realized my windows defender aint working and cannot restart security center whatsoever

Got an idea how to fix it?

Windows repair or a fresh install. 

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's normal for startup. Does the usage stay high the whole time afterwards?

At least 10c over ambient is normal for idle. Any less usually requires very good cooling. Your idle temps seem normal but load is a bit high. What are temps with a synthetic load? I personally use OCCT. 

Double check and make sure the cooler is properly seated. 

Windows repair or a fresh install. 

Checked with Malwarebytes and found few trojans. Get rid of it and no more random spikes. Did a repair with creation tools and fixed the windows security.

My load is still very high, tried a stress test prime95 with default settings (i dont really understand so wasnt bother to change anything) and it gets to 90C in just 5 minutes run. Do you recommend me to get a better cooler or just reapply a new paste? (its only a 3 months old CPU) since i considered getting a better cooling, for seating i'll do that this weekend, will keep posted! 

11 hours ago, vcnt19 said:

Checked with Malwarebytes and found few trojans. Get rid of it and no more random spikes. Did a repair with creation tools and fixed the windows security.

My load is still very high, tried a stress test prime95 with default settings (i dont really understand so wasnt bother to change anything) and it gets to 90C in just 5 minutes run. Do you recommend me to get a better cooler or just reapply a new paste? (its only a 3 months old CPU) since i considered getting a better cooling, for seating i'll do that this weekend, will keep posted! 

Prime95 is fairly heavy and can result in pretty high temps. 90c isn't surprising especially with your ambient temps. 

You can try reseating the cooler and making sure that it's evenly mounted and fully tightened. Make sure to gradually tighten in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

On 4/25/2020 at 5:21 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Prime95 is fairly heavy and can result in pretty high temps. 90c isn't surprising especially with your ambient temps. 

You can try reseating the cooler and making sure that it's evenly mounted and fully tightened. Make sure to gradually tighten in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

Hi again, I did remount my cooler and it stand around 43-46 during idle and light work, tried to play Control and it stays around 70ish (I didnt hit 80). With my current ambient (30-32C) do you suggest me to buy a better fan (I dont prefer AIO) or is it doing just fine? Thanks again

1 hour ago, vcnt19 said:

Hi again, I did remount my cooler and it stand around 43-46 during idle and light work, tried to play Control and it stays around 70ish (I didnt hit 80). With my current ambient (30-32C) do you suggest me to buy a better fan (I dont prefer AIO) or is it doing just fine? Thanks again

I think that's actually pretty good temps.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

On 4/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, vcnt19 said:

Those temps are fine. 

On 4/26/2020 at 10:07 PM, Fatih19 said:

I think that's actually pretty good temps.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Those temps are fine. 

Cool. thanks guys appreciate it 

20 minutes ago, vcnt19 said:

Cool. thanks guys appreciate it 

No prob!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |